Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Zbook 14 workstation
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello Support,

I am having problem with my HP Zbook workstation.  I am using Windows 7 and the problem is, it always hangs at shut down screen whenever I shutting down or restarting the laptop. I will have to do a press and hold the power button to shut it down.

I have done several troubleshooting including uninstall HP Assistant, 7 ZIP, but to no avail.

I am not able to install hotfix from microsoft as the update is not available for this computer.   Could it be due to the motherboard issue?

I have installed the latest chipset and BIOS driver, but it is not working too.

Please advise.  Thank you.

Best Regards

Novice10

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

the PC hangs at this screen while shutting downthe PC hangs at this screen while shutting downHello there,

Thanks for your reply but unfortunately, it does not work at all.

The moment it is shutting down, the whole process will hang at the Shut down screen.

Please advise.  Thank you!

Novice10

HP Recommended

It seems there has been a quite lengthy issue regarding something similar when Windows 10 came out. It ended up involving MEI updates and Intel display driver etc. Maybe you are feeling the echoes of something related.

I have not been involved with that but maybe you will get some pointers from the discussion.

A good starting point would be this:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3106301/windows-stuck-shutting-screen.html

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
HP Recommended

This kind of problem is usually related to the drivers (or applicaitons). For example, certain driver/application may not release the control in certain situation. Without debugging your OS image, it's very hard to find a root cause. I would recommend you reinstall the OS using HP Restore CD and install driver and applicaiton one-by-one.

I work for HP. All opinions and comments are my own.

HP Recommended

Hello,

For convenience ii have provided a link to do a system test which will test the mother board and other componets

if you believ thier still may be a hardware issue hope this helps.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/pps/pl_...

once you select the link select the button that says Download uefi diagnostics v 6.6.2.0

once installed you may select f2 at start up and run test.

i am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

@jorkkiwrote:

It seems there has been a quite lengthy issue regarding something similar when Windows 10 came out. It ended up involving MEI updates and Intel display driver etc. Maybe you are feeling the echoes of something related.

I have not been involved with that but maybe you will get some pointers from the discussion.

A good starting point would be this:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3106301/windows-stuck-shutting-screen.html

Hi 

I did have this problem early on, with this and NON HP machines.

To the extent I made a Desktop Shortcut with this as the Target.

C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /f /t 10
AND it worked.

HP Recommended

My solution was to downgrade the AMD driver to an older version, such as a driver from 2014-11-07.

Version 14.301.1002.1004 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.