cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
js511
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

HP Zbook 15 G3 + Thunderbolt docking station: laptop does not detect screen after undocking

HP Recommended
Zbook 15 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently received a new ZBook 15 G3 with a Thunderbolt docking. Unfortunately, docking/undocking does not work at all and it's only useful to connect two screens in an easy way.

When I work with the laptop standalone, close the lid or "sleep" and attach it to the docking station and switch the laptop on via the docking station, it works fine but all Office programs are blurred. This is a known Win 10 problem and solved in recent Win 10 updates but not available yet within my company.

The other way around is worse: when I boot the laptop while attached to the docking station, then sleep and detach from the docking station (or just detach it without first putting it to sleep), and start the laptop again standalone, it does not detect the laptop screen and the screen stays black. I have to restart the computer.

I have updated all drivers using the HP Support Assistant and spent hours on reading forums to look for similar problems. Also our help desk has no other option then replacing the laptop.

3 REPLIES 3
ju1c3
Level 4
51 51 6 13
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Make sure your dock has enough power to run the laptop and the dock itself. ZBooks can take more power than a standard laptop and if there isn't enough power I have seen some very weird things happen. 

0 Kudos
js511
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your remark. I am using the 150W Power Suply that came with the Docking station. This should be fine since the device is actually called "HP ZBook 150W Thunderbolt 3 Dock".

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Check you have the latest BIOS, Thunderbolt 3 Secure Connect Utility and Thunderbolt 3 FW installed. Power down the system, power it back up, then install the latest Thunderbolt 3 dock firmware. Do things work any better now?

All the software mentioned is downloadable from here (click).

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation