Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP zbook
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Please can someone help bought a Zbook Bios password protected HP say I need a new motherboard about £400

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I tried to edit my first post but could not. I searched this forum and contacted HP, but they told me they are no longer sending out SMC.bin files, so new motherboard, I did read an answer to replace a chip is this easy, does any one know the cost of a new chip.

HP Recommended

Hi I got the reply that HP are not generating anymore SMC.bin files, don't understand why not they say security but they can check my Zbook is out of warranty and not covered by a service agreement it's obvious I bought it second hand it just look's like it a money making scheme, why would I buy a Zbook then spend £400 on a motherboard surely HP may make some cash if they offered the SMC.bin file for a small fee, come on HP the security excuse is a bit lame, I have read I can buy a new bios chip with the latest bios on it, why would I spend £400 it does not make sense, please HP have a re-think why you would want decent laptops becoming useless is beyond my thinking, getting second hand laptops to work with just a quick SMC.bin file is better than them being put in the skip. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.