Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Regarding Intel Thunderbolt Firmware (16.1.7.0.6) I noticed it's not the same file for zbook 15 G3 and zbook 17 G3
Zbook 15 G3: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74501-75000/sp74935.html
Zbook 17 G3: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp74501-75000/sp74934.html

If 16.1.7.0.8 is official I do not understand why it's not listed in the driver pages for each model. It's several month old.

HP Recommended

I have a Zbook 15 G3 running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit.

After applying the following updates, I still am having some minor problems:

BIOS- 1.10

Thunderbolt Firmware- 16.1.7.0.6

ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller Driver- 1.16.35.1

Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect Software – 15.3.40.275

The problem I have is that when I enable the USB ports for Preboot, the USB port on the Thunderbolt do not work once the OS boots up. The video and Ethernet ports do work.  When I shutdown the system, I get a BSOD with a STOP 0x0000009F DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.  This takes about 10-15 minutes for the BSOD to pop up after a shutdown.

It appears everything works fine if I do not have the preboot USB enabled. The USB ports turn on a few seconds before the logon screen is available.

The problem is that we have McAfee Encryption on the laptops. If I user reboots, they cannot use the keyboard and mouse if they are connected to the Thunderbolt dock with the preboot USB ports not enabled.

I do have a workaround. We have the mouse and keyboard connected to the USB ports on the monitor.  The USB hub on the monitor is plugged into one of the USB ports on the laptop.  When a user has their laptop at work, they connect to the dock by plugging in the dock cable and the USB cable.  The preference would be to have them only plug one cable in for the dock, but having two is better than the five connections without the dock.

HP Recommended

I have a Zbook 15 G3 running Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit.

After applying the following updates, I still am having some minor problems:

BIOS- 1.10

Thunderbolt Firmware- 16.1.7.0.6

ASMedia eXtensible Host Controller Driver- 1.16.35.1

Intel Thunderbolt Secure Connect Software – 15.3.40.275

The problem I have is that when I enable the USB ports for Preboot, the USB port on the Thunderbolt do not work once the OS boots up. The video and Ethernet ports do work.  When I shutdown the system, I get a BSOD with a STOP 0x0000009F DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE.  This takes about 10-15 minutes for the BSOD to pop up after a shutdown.

It appears everything works fine if I do not have the preboot USB enabled. The USB ports turn on a few seconds before the logon screen is available.

The problem is that we have McAfee Encryption on the laptops. If I user reboots, they cannot use the keyboard and mouse if they are connected to the Thunderbolt dock with the preboot USB ports not enabled.

I do have a workaround. We have the mouse and keyboard connected to the USB ports on the monitor.  The USB hub on the monitor is plugged into one of the USB ports on the laptop.  When a user has their laptop at work, they connect to the dock by plugging in the dock cable and the USB cable.  The preference would be to have them only plug one cable in for the dock, but having two is better than the five connections without the dock.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

This 'trick' worked. Removed power from the docking station, for less than 10 seconds. Monitor brightness increased, while disconnected (unknow relation). When I reconnected power to the docing station, all USB devices connected to docking station became active.

Poor / ineffective testing prior to roll out.

HP Recommended

My issue was escalated to level 2 within HP and they sent me a new connector cable with only USB-C on one end.  It seemed to work for a while but after being disconnected from the dock for a day, now I'm completely dead in the water again.  Nothing on the dock works.

I've had this setup for 2 months and have spent 40+ hours dealing with this crap on almost a daily basis.

It's no wonder why HP is a company in trouble.  I am very disappointed in their ability to provide quality products.

I had gone away from them for many years only to come back and find the same problems still plague their products.

The one thing I can say that has stayed the same is that their service/support has always been and continues to be good however they can only work with the products they are given and it seems like they just aren't that good but there aren't many choices these days.

I have a feeling HP may be going the way of DEC, Compaq, etc.  Wait...  they are DEC, Compaq, etc.

HP Recommended

How does this fix address the docking station functionality? This information is not available in the release notes. 

HP Recommended

after applying the Bios fix / update and a power reset, the USB and ethernet on the docking station worked without having to open the workstation.

WiFi will not connect, or is not available in this configuration.  Would seem some work remains incomplete for the 'docking station' to function properly. 

HP Recommended

Latest information from the rep I've been working with is that the USB-C ports can easily be damaged and it appears that's what's going on with my laptop.  Motherboard replacement coming.

In order to get things working, I had to switch to a cable that doesn't have the power supply portion and then jiggle the cable in the connection until it works.  So far it has worked for an hour and I'm afraid to touch anything.

Did the BIOS update and had some issues when wireless was turned on and getting the hardwired dock connection to work.

Right now it's working with the dock NIC and wireless off after a reboot.

HP Recommended

Besides the BIOS update, have you installed the ASMEdia firmware for the dock? 

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=9822178&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4192

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.