Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
ProBook 5330m

I have bought an HP probook 5330m from 2nd hand, it did not have an HDD, so I am using mine. I would like to install windows trough USB, when I plug USB laptop does not detect it. It is probably locked in BIOS system, but I cannot enter as it is protected by Administrator password and I do not know it, how could I reset it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're more than welcome :generic:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

Unfortunately,  business machines such as Probooks or Elitebooks have more stringent security than consumer models - they don't produce 'halt codes', the password cannot be derived from the Serial No. and the code is stored in non-volatile memory so removing the RTC cell will not reset the password in this case.

If you still have the sellers contact details, see if they can remember the password.

The only other option would be to Contact HP Business support as they may be able to send you a customised SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Thank you for advice, I will try to contact them as I have no seller's details... didn't expect I will get such a trouble up here 😕

HP Recommended

Hi,

You're welcome :generic:

The best option is to telephone business support and request level 2 support - they should be able to email you the file you require to reset the password.

Regards,

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have just though, even if I will get this file and put it in USB, how will the laptop open it, if it doesn't read from USB?

HP Recommended

Hi,

You'll have to check with HP regarding exact procedure, but for other models, I believe you create a bootable HDD for the file.

DP-K

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

I have managed to contact HP support through live chat, they have offered LV2 support by now, I am awaiting for reply, thank yu again 🙂 I wouldn't be able to avhieve as far without advice of yours.

HP Recommended

You're more than welcome :generic:

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

This platform uses SMC.bin file. You can call the call center and provide F1 screen information including serial number and UUID to the 1.5LS . They can create SMC.bin file without escalating the case to LV2 . Even if the USB ports are disabled should be able to use it by following the steps they will provide you.

Thanks,

I work for HP.
If you find my solution helpful, please click the Thumbs Up!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.