Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently got a HP ZBook 15 G5 for testing/demo and I tried to install a recent build of Windows 10 Enterprise (which is almost equal with Pro).

HW changes: I replaced the original M.2 NVMe module with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus M.2 module to avoid touching the original installation.

BIOS: I had to modify the BIOS setting "Secure Boot Configuration" and set it to "Legacy enable & Security Boot Disable" otherwise it didn't boot from the USB Stick with Win 10 install media.

Installation: Once I got the Win10 install procedure running I could watch the file copy phase reach the end and the first reboot took place.

Now I can't get Windows booted - whatever boot relevant setting I choose (or even reset to factory settings) in BIOS.

Sometimes I get "No operating system was found" or the Secure boot system wants me to enter a code to acknowledge a change but then black screen and it does a reboot.

Is there a official procedure for Win 10 installation from a USB stick? Which BIOS settings have to be changen and when?
Does the stick need to be prepared in a special way (I just use the legacy MS DVD Download tool for preparation) - are there any recomendations for an actual tool?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello @Codeslayer 

I would use  >Rufus to write the ISO file to the USB pen drive.

No special settings for the BIOS but:

- If you choose to use Legacy BIOS CSM mode, you must write your Windows image in MBR mode / FAT32

- If you choose the use the newer UEFI mode, you must write your WIndows ISO image in GPT mode / UEFI mode

Information >> https://wiki.manjaro.org/index.php?title=Some_basics_of_MBR_v/s_GPT_and_BIOS_v/s_UEFI

>> https://www.howtogeek.com/193669/whats-the-difference-between-gpt-and-mbr-when-partitioning-a-drive/

• Therefore, if you use BIOS CSM mode, BIOS setting should be Legacy mode enabled, Secure boot disabled
  • If you use UEFI / GPT mode, then your BIOS setting should be Legacy mode disabled, Secure Boot enabled

You can find details in the PDF file attached below

Let me know how it goes

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.