Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 17 G3 T7V35ES
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,
I have problem with the HP ZBOOK 17 G3. It suddenly wont fully start, instead it keeps in a power on/power off loop. The loop is:

•  power led button blinks quickly 2x and simultaneosly wifi + mute button blinks 1x + complete backlight for keyboard blinks 1x, after that the caps lock lights up for ~2sec -> see video
  • front leds: wireless(orange) + power(white) + drive(orange) blink once at same time, then battery led blinks 5x - (changing orange/white) -> see video
  • side led is solid white when AC charger connected
  • during this process both fans (cpu+gpu) spin up and immediatelly spin down
  • this loop is repeating indefitely
  • if notebook is on battery, then there is like 1minute delay before the loop begins again, if it is on AC adaptor, the loop repeats immediately (like in video)
  • this loop is exactly the same I experienced 2 years ago, but at that time I still had the warranty, under which I sent it to the repair center where they fixed it by, quoting: "Repaired by CMOS reset."
  • one common sign, which could cause this loop is in my opinion some shady BIOS update from HP side, because 2 years ago, when the loop begins for the first time, I updated BIOS while the official HP drivers utility marked is as critical (or such), everything was fine for around 2 days, after that the loop started... Fast forward to present time, the same utility suggested again new BIOS (v1.52 I think) and almost exactly after 2 days the dreadfull loop begins again (btw, notebook is in mint condition, as I care about things I use for work, especially when my configuration was almost the highest possible, minus the DreamColor LCD.

So after all, I decided, based on the report from first repair, to reset CMOS by myself per instruction from HP site, I tried:

1. unplugged AC adaptor
  2. removing everything internally connected to MB (internall battery, ssd/hdd drives, RAM sticks, RTC battery, expansion cards, WLAN card, keyboard, etc...)
  3. drained the residual current by holding power button for 10/30/60sec...
  4. reseating RTC battery after few minutes/few hours/day..., also bought new RTC battery, which I tried too
  5.  reseating everything piece by piece (to detect probably faulty item)
  6.  tried every suggested key combinations with power button (win + V, win + B, ESC+UP+DOWN), also tried USB BIOS recovery
  7. tried to run without RTC battery
  8. tried to run only on AC adaptor, or only on internall battery, or with AC + battery, tried two different original AC adaptors too, also with TB3 dock too

Every steps I made made zero difference, not a single different behavior, still the same loop.
From what I gathered via google-fu, it seems that the service center which made first CMOS reset repair, is not the same as I am trying per suggestion by HP.
The notebook has some kind of NVRAM which is not cleared by suggested steps, thus not fully wiping BIOS settings to default state, which I think is the problem. When the notebook had CMOS cleared by service center, my BIOS password was gone. But from what I learned, the suggested DIY steps wont clear the NVRAM, where the password is stored. So I think, that beside the password, there are more setting stored in that NVRAM, which are causing the loop - thats why all of my efforts are in vain. Also I totally think, that all of the notebook parts are fine, so I hope I wont hear some usuall BS : replace mainboard for 400Euro...

So my final quesiton for the HP officials/service - Can you please reveal how to fully reset CMOS, thus wiping BIOS to default state? I dont care about password, I know it. I just want the **bleep** thing to run again, and not to be ruined by, what I believe **extremely shady** practice by HP with BIOS updates, which will force user to buy unnecesary new mainboard.

Thanks in advance.

-M

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.