Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm running the firmware update as part of a SCCM OS Deployment task sequence. I run "HpFirmwareUpdRec64.exe -s -pPW.bin -b -r" and the step fails with error 259, which I found is "file not found". Both the firmware update and the password file are in the package.
What I've found from runing the same command from a cmd in the OS is that hpfirmwareupdrec64.exe is deleting or moving the PW.bin file, then returning the file not found message. If I replace the file and run the same command again, it will work properly. 

Any ideas for getting this to work just runnning the command once in an OS Deploy?

I have the 800 G4 that also uses the hpfirmwareupdrec64 and it does not have this issue.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

The older tool HPBIOSUpdateRec did this too.  It wasn't a problem for us until we created external media and each USB only worked once.

Anyway, my solution was to create a batch file that first makes a copy of the password file then runs the tool pointed at the copy.  Copy gets consumed but the source is still there for next time.  Then call the batch file from your "Run Command Line" step instead of HPFirmwareUpdRec / HPBIOSUpdRec.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.