Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15 g6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear all,

I have quite the same problem as described here by another user:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/How-To-disable-HP-sure-start-po...

But this topic is closed so I have to open a new topic.

I would like to disable the Power-On Authentification (=Passwort to be entered directly at the computer start, before the Windows Login) but I do not find any possibility to do so, exactly like described by this other user (see link above). 

In my case I have following situation:

- Laptop HP ZBook 15 g6

- First installation with Windows 10 in October 2010

- At that time I registered my fingerprints in the HP Software (HP sure start or HP sure sense or somtething like that, I do not remember exactly).

- After that my fingerprint war required when starting the computer (before the WIndows login) = POST Power-On Authentification. Alternatively I always had the possibility to enter my Windows-Password instead at that POST Power-On screen when my Fingerprint was not recognized.

- In April 2021 I had to install a new hard drive (or actually PCIe / M.2 SSD) and reinstall Windows 10 and everything. By the way I had to define a new Password for Windows-Login. 

- Since that time I do not have the HP softwares anymore (HP sure sense, HP sure start, ...) so that I can not change / register again my fingerprints.

- The Power-On Authentification is still active and it requires my Fingerprints but it does not recognize my Fingerprints any more. So I have to enter the password instead of the fingerprints. And it works with my old Windows-password (of october 2020). So the PC remember my old password but does not remember my fingerprints.

I found no possibility (neither in Windows nor in BIOS menu) to redefine my fingerprints.

The fingerprint reader (Synaptics VFS7552) is active in the device manager and the driver is said to be the current one (Synaptics Incorporated, 28.08.2020, Version 5.5.27.1099).

This all is too complicated for me now. I just would like to disable this Power-On Authentification. How should I do?

In the BIOS-Setup (F10 at PC start) I had the possibility to create a POST Power-On Password (what is strange because I have already one, the old one of OCtober 2020) but no possibility to change it or delete / disable it.

So today I "created" a POST Power-On Password (giving the Password of October 2020 that the PC alreadys knows and already expect at each computer start before the WIndows Login). Then I had the possibility to change the POST Power-On Password in BIOS. But not possibility to deleted/disable it. I tried to change the POST Power-On Password by giving an empty Password. But it did not change anything. The PC is still wanting my old Password of October 2020 at each PC start.

I would be very grateful if somebody knows how to disable this POST Power-On Authentification.

Should I reinstall HP sure sense? HP sure start? other HP software???

Thank you in advance

Nicolas

-

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.