Create an account on the HP Community to personalize your profile and ask a question
02-22-2021 08:17 AM - edited 02-22-2021 08:26 AM
Blu-ray optical drive is malfunctioning. Virtual assistant is useless and sends me to dead links. No live support without paying more for the warrantee service I think I should have for another 2.5 years. I just want to replace the drive.
02-22-2021 08:38 AM
Welcome to the HP Community.
Donot respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.
Donot respond to individuals who ask you to provide private information in a public Post.
These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.
Virtual Assistant can check what is in the database.
For example, if the workstation was not registered after purchase, the agent might not find the correct warranty information.
If anything prevents the VA from finding the information in the expected locations, the little agent cannot expand its search.
- I've sent this concern for Review
- I've included the manner in which you can contact HP Tech Support
If you wish to do so, please do contact Tech Support.
This method can be faster than waiting for one of our volunteer agents.
Request for Review
- I have submitted a request that our Community moderators review your question / concern.
- Our Community is not an HP business group.
- We are not HP Technical Support, nor are we HP Sales, Service, or Warranty.
- Our request for assistance on your behalf does not influence the outcome: Our request is not a magic back door into HP Support.
- The time frame (how long it takes) for a response is not controlled by the Community.
- If / When there is a response, a Community moderator / agent will (should) post back on this thread before using other methods to contact you.
- Do not contact random numbers posted in a public or private message by “new members”. Vermin are looking for victims – don’t be next.
- Please do not post any personal or case information here - we cannot make use of the data.
- Posting personal information at a public site increases your risk from rats and scammers.
Submit a case for Warranty Repair to HP Support.
HP Support - Technical Support for Devices in Warranty
Case submission to HP Support is available to those whose devices are still in Warranty.
For the rest of us, this is not an option.
HP Support does not generally provide free service for out-of-warranty devices.
Our Community is not HP Support; we do offer help free of charge.
Scroll to bottom > Ask the Community
- If you wish to pay for out-of-warranty phone support, let us know and we will forward a request. The request may - or may not - make a difference.
- HP is not a "general" repair facility: Requests for out-of-warranty repairs are generally not accepted.
- If the problem is hardware, if your device is in Warranty and you cannot submit your case to Support, let us know and we will forward a request.
HP Technical Support – Contact Information
Submit information / case online
Sign in or continue as a guest
- HP Phone numbers you find on the Internet have likely been hijacked.
- HP Support USA does not post public phone numbers.
- HP Support USA requires online case submission - local contact options are displayed after the case is submitted.
Many roads lead to HP Support.
Settings > System > About > (Support) Online support > Contact an HP Agent
(here at the Community)
Open homepage for HP Community
At the top of the web page, hover mouse over Support
Beneath Support Resources > Contact Us
Open website HP World-Wide Support
Select your region and follow the prompts
USA / Canada
>>> Option - HP Support is on Facebook <<<
Some regions in the World offer WhatsApp to connect with HP Support
NOTE - At this writing: USA is not included in supported regions.
NOTE 2: Submission Checks the device warranty status
Covered regions – minute 2:08
Video: WhatsApp - HP Support
Register your product during first setup or soon afterwards
Have a Care Pack Warranty that needs to be Registered?
Check the Warranty on your product
NOTE: Warranty date is updated after purchase and registration of the device.
If the device is not registered, or if there are other issues, submit a Warranty Dispute form.
NOTE 2: If the single-system-check fails to find your device, use the "multiple devices" method to
check single or multiple devices.
- If necessary, Select your Country on the main website page or at the bottom (click Flag)
- Scroll down > To the right of Check multiple warranties, Click Continue
- Enter the Serial Number and Country for one or more devices / systems to be checked
- Check the box to verify you are "Not a robot"
- Click Submit (at bottom of list entries)
- When the page opens, Click View Details
Reminder: Online database results do not impact the actual contract.
Excerpted: If you think the warranty details of your product are incorrect, submit a dispute through the HP warranty validation website.
- If necessary, select your Region / Country: Scroll to bottom of page and click the Flag
- HP Computers and Printers - How to Submit a Dispute to Validate Your Warranty
HP Limited Warranty Statements (General Information)
Standard Warranty, that is, the warranty included with the device, typically covers hardware as explained in the Warranty document. Optional Care Pack warranties differ by contract.
- HP Limited Warranty Statements | HP® Official Site
- HP PCs - Damage Not Covered by the HP Standard Limited Warranty
Thank you for participating in the HP Community.
The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.
Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.
Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.
Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"
02-22-2021 10:34 AM
Thank you, Dragon-Fur, for the run-down on acquiring warrantee service. I had done most of these things, however, much of the automated process I encountered does not currently work. For instance, after the virtual assistant runs out of suggestions, as you point out limited by its database, it offers to link to online services. Click the link...page not found. Try to access the services manually. After entering the model and serial number from the HP Virtual Assistant, it loops back to the same page with the fields again empty. (The Virtual Assistant correctly identifies my laptop and its warrantee information, which is what I use.) Try to verify warrantee information manually. Says the assistant-provided SN is not valid. Go into HP account: there is the info for this and previous PCs. It is correct. Click for additional assistance: nothing happens or it takes me back to the main service page to start over.
I finally go hold of a tech by going to the premium support page and clicking on the contact us tab. I have not been able to repeat that access since, since I am now told that I no longer qualify for Care Packs since I bought my PC last fall. (Would have been nice to know, though the idea of having to pay a fee to get warrantee services for a defective part is irritating.)
So, I am getting my replacement part, after several tries to get service and a lot of frustration over almost a week.
If this is intentional on HP's part--and I know you are not with HP--it is foolish. I may never buy another HP laptop, and a premium one at that, over this issue. And that after buying a lot of them for myself and family over the years. Penny wise; pound foolish.
Thanks for your reply, and thanks for passing any of this on that you might think will make a difference.
Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask the community