Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 440 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

To enhance battery life or optimal use of battery of my Probook 440 G5, kindly guide me in following:

I use the said laptop in my office and home where all time electric power is available. Now suggest me:

1. when I am using laptop, should I plug in all the time even after battery is charged full or

2. I should remove the adopter after full charge and use the laptop till battery is discharged to 15 or less% and again plug in to charge full and so on ... or

3. Any other way of charging/discharging, for best/effective use of battery, please

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Easy question.  When AC power is available, keep the laptop attached to the adapter and to the wall AC power.

Lithium-ion batteries last longer when kept at near full charge.  Repetitive charge/discharge cycles are not conducive to long battery life. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Easy question.  When AC power is available, keep the laptop attached to the adapter and to the wall AC power.

Lithium-ion batteries last longer when kept at near full charge.  Repetitive charge/discharge cycles are not conducive to long battery life. 

HP Recommended

Thanks dear .... Thats what i was looking for 

HP Recommended

I agree with @Cheyenne4's answer. Lithium ion batteries are damaged most by depth of discharge, so anything you can do to minimise depth of discharge is important. If you are going to turn on the system and can connect external power, I would always do so.

Ideally you do not want to keep recharging lithium ion batteries to the very top, which is why systems will often not start charging if the battery is something like 85% or 90% charged already. If you have only discharged the battery to 80% and do not intend to use the system again for 3-4 days, I would consider not connecting up power until you need a fully charged battery or you want to use the system when you have external power available. On the other hand, deep discharge is much worse than full charges, so it's better to charge too often than not to charge. I certainly wouldn't store any lithium ion battery for a prolonged period without giving it a periodic charge.

Wear on lithium ion batteries is inevitable, not least as they deteriorate over time irrespective of use. The best you can do is delay that wearing process so far as possible.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.