Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Hp EliteBook 8460p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Tried to contact support in Ukraine but it has no such page (call or contact-us), so how can I get SMC.bin file. Maybe you have some online support using chat or something. Where should I call or write?

Thank you

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@pkomenda

Do you have an unknown BIOS password???

REO

HP Recommended

I bought notebook that was in use but previous owner didn't told the password when sold it to the store where I bought it. 

HP Recommended

@pkomenda

Contact HP and they should be able to send you a customized SMC.bin file which you can use at boot to reset the password.

Phone >> http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

When talking to the HP rep ask them to escalate your service request.

Or download these files.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1m0NU2sPsAdlSWcn7TJynbt8D6oChbrMT?usp=sharing

Insert clean USB flash drive.

Then run USB Image tool.

Choose the flash drive then click on RESTORE.

After restore remove flash drive.

Insert flash drive into locked laptop and boot. ”If HDD is installed remove before booting.”

At C:\OUTPUT   type CD..   “Then hit enter”

Type HPBR   “Then hit enter”

First thing is to save your settings.

Select #3 re-program.

Press “S” to save system information.

Type HPBR and hit enter.

Select   “FIRST RUN”

Then select model.

After reboot repeat same as above but this time SELECT “SECOND RUN”

REO

I must inform you that these services are not endorsed by HP, and that HP is not responsible for any damage that may arise to your system by using these services. Please be aware that you do this at your own risk.

HP Recommended

Hi REO,

What are the dropbox files? Do they create an SMC.bin type of file or are they like CMOSPWD?

I've exhausted everything now to remove my BIOS password as HP support won't give me the SMC.bin and I'm considering a Python script to dictionary brute force it (which I'm really uncomfortable with).

Cheers

HP Recommended

@NonEvent

What model laptop do you have???

REO

HP Recommended

serial whited outserial whited out

I have the same problem,,,any suggestions on my HP 17-G121wm laptop? Need a way to reset bios password. Noticed that F2 displays the system info except for the UUID number. HP says to replace mb but not economically feasible. Tried 10 hrs draining of mb residual voltage with bios battery removed, removed hd thinking it would automatically search and find a usb drive I attached but didn't work.

HP Recommended

hello , 

in frensh please

HP Recommended

@pkomenda wrote:

Hi,

Tried to contact support in Ukraine but it has no such page (call or contact-us), so how can I get SMC.bin file. Maybe you have some online support using chat or something. Where should I call or write?

Thank you

HP Recommended

sorry. i found your files below.

thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.