pnsdls
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Hp EliteBook 8560w memory upgrade

HP Recommended
Elitebook 8560w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
My notebook right now has 2x4gb 1333mhz I would like to upgrade to 2x8gb 1600mhz.

From the specs I can tell that the notebook will support up to 32gb of ram but will it support 1600mhz speeds...??

Ps. Cpu is i7 2820qm which definitely supports up to 32gb ram at 1600mhz...
3 REPLIES 3
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
94,887 93,544 12,293 26,129
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@pnsdls

You can upgrade to supported higher RAM speed but it will automatically downgrade to 1333MHz. Please use RAM from the following reliable vendor

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/elitebook-8560w

They say:  These upgrades are guaranteed compatible when you order from Crucial.com

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
pnsdls
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks you for that reply. Do you know why since the cpu supports higher ram speeds why cant i use 1600mhz ram is there a bios setting to unlock speed or any other workaround??

banhien
Level 19
Level 19
94,887 93,544 12,293 26,129
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@pnsdls

From CPU to RAM there is a bridge. You can install higher RAM speed (if supported) but the bridge will have the last call.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

>
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation