tbcomputer
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post

I want to send my laptop to hp for repairs

HP Recommended
hp pavilion g7
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I want to send my laptop to hp for repairs, could someone please tell me how much would it cost to do this ?

9 REPLIES 9
CherylG
Level 17
44,714 38,155 3,357 11,484
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hard to guess not knowing what type of repairs you are talking about. But, for sure it will be expensive for out of warranty. Best thing is to call HP and ask. You may find that it isn't worth it or that maybe a local repair shop would be more cost effective.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
tbcomputer
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well, I'm sure that a new battery. And repairing a split in the keyboard should not cost that much. But, I will call hp and  ask. and if it is expensive, then I will gladly find  a local computer repair place to fix it. 

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The Maintenance and Service Guide for the Pavilion g7 (I think I've found the correct one for your computer, but you need to check, as you did not provide the full product code) shows the battery is user changeable on this model and the keyboard swap should be well within the ability of most competent DIYers. This contrasts with modern laptops where a keyboard swap typically requires taking the whole computer to pieces and replacing the entire top cover/keyboard/trackpad assembly.

Your biggest problem is going to be the age of the machine - it is so old that HP may well not have parts available any more. If you do track down a 'new' battery, it may well have been sat on a shelf for years - and as Lithium Ion batteries deteriorate over time even if not used and fare very badly if they are deeply discharged, it may not work much better than the original battery.

You also have to be careful not to overspend on what is an old machine; whilst I understand a reluctance to part with an old and mostly still functional workhorse, the value of this computer should now be fully depreciated even if it is in full working order and the components are probably at or beyond their design lives. I would be particularly reluctant to spend on labour costs for professional repair of a system that is now around seven years old. Pavilion is HP's budget range, though the build quality might well be better than a new Pavilion!

If a budget new computer is unaffordable, I suggest you look at what a good second hand computer that is perhaps three years old will cost as well as trying to get a cost for the parts (and if you must, labour) to repair your Pavilion.

0 Kudos
CherylG
Level 17
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@tbcomputer

A keyboard and battery are 2 easily replaced items. However as mentioned above by @David_J_W you may not be able to find original parts but "compatible replacement" is likely. 

For instance your Manual says keyboard- For use in the United States 640208-001.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0GA-009K-00150

6-cell,55-Whr,2.55-Ah Li-ion battery 593554-001:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Superb-Choice-6-cell-HP-593554-001-Laptop-Battery/42197853
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4A07CJ5687&cm_re=HP_Original_Battery_-_593554-0...

tbcomputer
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'M going to upload a picture of the damaged parts of my laptop, as soon as my  camera is charged. As for the battery charger, I will look and see if ebay has one.

0 Kudos
tbcomputer
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is the photo of the damage.

the  split is right at the top at   of the left side of my laptop,  notice  there is also a  crack  beside the split  ?the split is right at the top at of the left side of my laptop, notice there is also a crack beside the split ?

0 Kudos
CherylG
Level 17
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@tbcomputer

I would be careful ordering a battery from Ebay. I posted two links above that may be safer-unless,of course, you aren't in US? You also said battery charger in your last reply- do you need a charger or a battery?

The split looks like it is damage in the case from the hinge. We though the actual keyboard had a split. If it is caused by the hinge it may need a new hinge as well as the top cover. Hard to really tell from the photo. Perhaps @David_J_W can tell more from it and have a suggestion.

At any rate, HP will not have parts for a laptop that is 7 years old. Models change fast and parts are stocked for newer models in warranty. 

0 Kudos
tbcomputer
Author
5 4 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What I really  is the ac adapter charger,  I could search for another hinge and top cover.

0 Kudos
CherylG
Level 17
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Look through your Maintenance Guide for part numbers. Power adapters are different for various countries. Top cover comes in several colors as the entire laptop did. With what info we have been given it is impossible to find for you.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02834058

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation