Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP probook 6470b
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,
I had an issue with my laptop i5 3230m (official TDP 35W) CPU TDP.

Laptop model: HP probook 6470b. Using genuine HP new smart adapter.
Software for system info: HWMonitor (v.1.35).
Software for system stress: Prime95 (last version for 64 system).

Symptoms: Observing that TDP never go beyond 20W (for package).

What I've tried: To see if there any power options in Windows to change. I've put CPU on max everywhere in Windows power management.
Installed "Intel Extreme Tuning Utility" to see if there any options to enable/disable. All was OK.

I have also another laptop with 4710MQ CPU. And same software for monitor and stress show results in accordance to Intel TDP data (long term and short term TDP).

If any one had similar problems with any laptop or HP probook series can you confirm my output results? I want to know if it's probably related to manufacturer limiting somehow TDP (CPU consumption in this case). Or it could be related to software problem (Windows? Drivers? etc?).

And yes I know what does TDP means. But how I understand TDP shown in HWMonitor signify power consumption and not related to how much heat should be dissipated by cooling system.

Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.