Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 820 G2 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have followed all steps to rectify the problem suggested on HP sight and used both Microsoft troubleshooter and hp AudioCHECK. All settings are correct and even tried reinstalling drivers but nothing works. Sound comes out fine but the recording is not working even when I try to use a headset. Note when setting up microphone there is no option for the internal mic

TonyBear_0-1645039394848.pngTonyBear_1-1645039485203.png

TonyBear_2-1645039665788.png

Tony-Bear (Rough and grizzly exterior but a Teddybear inside)
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I had similar issues when I upgraded my Zbook 15 G1 to Windows 10. Turns out HP never released a Win10 driver for the sigmatel audio codec. I solved it by going into HPs support website and downloading the latest audio driver for Windows 8. Your case is different, though, because there's an official win10 audio driver for your laptop on HP's support website.

The sound control panel should show your internal mics as "Internal Microphone Array" (see attached screenshot). If not, I'm afraid you're using some generic Realtek drivers instead of the ones provided by HP. Regarding the "microphone setup wizard": it won't actually show "internal/integrated microphone" as an option even though your PC has them. That's normal, I just checked on mine.

integrated mic array in sound control panel.png

I know we're talking different laptop models and different audio codec manufacturers (yours is realtek, judging from screenshots), but rolling back to Win8 drivers might be worth a shot, right? For all I know, Realtek audio codecs have been a bug fest on all Win10 laptops I've come in contact with haha.

@Tony-Bear wrote:

... recording is not working even when I try to use a headset.

This is what's throwing me off. Bad drivers shouldn't break external mics. But it might be further evidence that your current drivers are doing a bad job and are treating your laptop as a desktop with a different set of ports. The absence of "Headset microphone" in your sound control panel further adds to this little theory.

PD: it doesn't help matters that Win10 likes to take the liberty of updating your current drivers without asking first. I've had this happen all the time with Dell Inspirons.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.