Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
macOS 10.15 Catalina

Hi guys, 

I'm referring to this product: https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-thunderbolt-dock-120w-g2

Can anyone please tell me if the G2 docking station is compatible with MacBook Pros? And if so, do all the peripherals work? What about ethernet and USB ports? Thanks in advance

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

In general the Thunderbolt G2 dock should work well - it provides up to 100W of power for charging the laptop. The main concern i have heard is that MacOS does not support DP MST (multi-stream) which means connecting displays to both DP ports (there is a DP hub ) will result in duplicate screens. For a 2nd display, you would need to connect via the usb-c port with an adapter

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

I had heard a lot about things like the USB ports and ethernet not working though. Is that true? Because a worry I have is whether I will have to install drivers and etc. 

HP Recommended

there is no reason the usb and embedded nic (realtek) should not work on a macbook pro of recent vintage

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

There is a pretty lengthy discussion on this dock and macOS here.

In general everything will work except connecting 2 monitors using the DisplayPorts.  The macOS does not support MST which is the technology used in this dock to support multiple monitors.

If you have a Windows laptop with TB3 or Bootcamp installed on your MBP it would also be best to update the dock to the latest FW.  There have been a couple of updates to power delivery (USB-C PD) which I have found makes charging on my 16" MBP more reliable.

I am currently using this dock connected to my 2019 16" MBP with no issues.  My HP Z27G2 monitor is connected through the TB3 port on the back and using DisplayPort over USB-C.  I have found this to be the most reliable connection in macOS Mojave.

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your response! How often do you think firmware updates are released? I would love to have a dock that is just plug and play and just not worry about anything else

When you have the monitor connected via DisplayPort over USB-C, does this mean that your monitor is connected to the DisplayPort, and the USBC end is connected into your dock? Are you able to use the monitor while in clamshell mode? And if so, does the display turn on seamlessly when the computer is in clamshell mode and you wake it from sleep using peripheral keyboard/mice? 

HP Recommended

The monitor has USB-C in.  So it is a USB-C cable from the Thunderbolt out port on the back of the dock to the USB-C in port on the monitor.  I could probably find a display port cable if you need me to test the DisplayPorts.  I do not have any way of connecting HDMI however.  I had a monitor working with DisplayPort in the Office pre Covid though.  The USB-C makes more sense for me at home though because it will also power the USB ports on the monitor with a single cable.

I believe there have been 3 FW updates since release.  The last one was in January.   I would not expect many more unless specs change or bugs are found.

The dock works with the laptop open or closed.  It will wake from sleep with my Magic Keyboard in both modes.

The power button on the dock will not wake or power on the MacBook Pro.  I also have the audio module and the volume keys do work as well as the speaker and mic.  But for the life of me I can not get the answer and hangup buttons to work.

All USB ports work as does the Thunderbolt out port.  The ethernet port works but you may need to manually add it as an interface in the Network Preferences.  I do not have it currently connected but I know it does work.

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 5.34.17 PM.png

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.