Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the HP Spectre, and the keyboard light f5 key is working, however the lights time out and turn off very quickly when not using keyboard, is there a way I can adjust the timing of when lights turn off?  I am hoping to have them remain on for a much longer time frame

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@WDH01 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you would like to change the Keyboard backlight timing.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

If the backlight stays on for only a few seconds, the backlight timeout setting might need configuring in the BIOS.

NOTE: 

If there is not a setting for the backlight timing in the BIOS, this behavior might not be supported on the notebook. Check your notebook model's product support documentation to confirm support.

Your BIOS version and screens might vary.

1. Restart the notebook, and then immediately press the F10 repeatedly until the BIOS opens.

2. When the BIOS opens, use the arrow keys to navigate to the Advanced tab.

3. Navigate to Built-in Device Options, and then press Enter.

The Advanced tab showing Built-in Device Option highlighted

4. In the Built-in Device Options, select the Backlit keyboard timeout.

5. Press the spacebar to open the keyboard backlight settings, and then select the timeout setting you to want.

NOTE: 

If you select Never, the backlight remains on which could quickly drain the notebook battery power.

Backlit keyboard timeout options

Please refer to the following link to more information about keyboard backlight.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

Hello - thanks for your email, is there a way to open BIOS without pressing F10, as I restarted my computer and pressed f10 but nothing happened?

HP Recommended

@WDH01

I understand your concerns.

Only a few models having the backlight timeout settings.

There is no other option to enter the BIOS.

I think your model does not have the settings.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.