Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
EliteBook x360 1040 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Laptop charger rating is 15v/4.33a. Can I use charger with rating 15v/3a rating?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

with usb-c power delivery, the port and the power supply negotiate voltage, and once a proper voltage (could be 12v, 15v, etc.) is set, the port obtains the current available (within limits). With HP systems, if a port does not like what the supplies is sending, it will stop the port to avoid damage to the motherboard - this is a simple, high level description of what goes on underneath the wires

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

look at the wattage... lower amps means slower charging. If the smaller charger is HP then it has likely been tested. If not, it will probably work but due to the usb-c Power Delivery specs, HP can not vouch it meets the design specs

HP Recommended

Hi Soccer_dan,

many thanks for reply. I was thinking of buying RAVPower PC112 PD Pioneer 61W GaN Tech USB C Wall Charger. Though it’s 61w, it’s current rating at 15v is 3a only. Wondering if HP laptop can pull more current out of it at 15v,  considering the wattage is closer to the required 65w of the laptop, or it would charge at 3a only?

HP Recommended

with usb-c power delivery, the port and the power supply negotiate voltage, and once a proper voltage (could be 12v, 15v, etc.) is set, the port obtains the current available (within limits). With HP systems, if a port does not like what the supplies is sending, it will stop the port to avoid damage to the motherboard - this is a simple, high level description of what goes on underneath the wires

HP Recommended

Hi Soccer_dan,

many thanks for your time. Appreciate it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.