Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 450 G7
Linux

Hello,

I'm interested in the hp probook 450 g7, but there is an issue I don't know if this laptop supports modern Linux distros such as Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. My workflow requires to use Linux as a daily driver (main os). Are there any issues running Linux on this particular laptop? Has anyone tried running a Linux distro on an hp probook 450 g7?

Regards

Jorkano

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

I work in IT and  have had linux PCs & laptops for about 15years now so I'm not exactly a novice.

I've just been given a new Probook 450 G7 from work and I intended to put linux on it as I've often done before.

I can't speak for other HP laptops but the Probook 450 G7 is THE most incompatible laptop with linux I have ever seen.

I've had it about 4 days and tried approx 8 flavours of linux

e.g. Mint, Fedora, ZorinOs, Open SuSE, Manjoro, MX

I can't even remember the rest.   Most wouldn't even install.  Others installed but had one glaring issue; Mint installed but the wifi simply would not work. 

Ubuntu is the only one that works and it doesn't work well.  It's laggy, the wifi is very flakey; slow & intermittent and I can't get the brightness buttons to work.

Frequently the browser stops responding even though ping still works.

In addition, Ubuntu doesn't appear to be that stable on this laptop - I've had numerous freezes & reboots.

The HP support website offers no linux drivers so I can't get something more stable.

In short I'm not considering putting Windows back on it as it's virtually unusable as is.

There's a lot to like about this laptop - the screen is glorious and the keyboard/trackpad pretty nice.

However, as a Linux laptop this is terrible. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

I work in IT and  have had linux PCs & laptops for about 15years now so I'm not exactly a novice.

I've just been given a new Probook 450 G7 from work and I intended to put linux on it as I've often done before.

I can't speak for other HP laptops but the Probook 450 G7 is THE most incompatible laptop with linux I have ever seen.

I've had it about 4 days and tried approx 8 flavours of linux

e.g. Mint, Fedora, ZorinOs, Open SuSE, Manjoro, MX

I can't even remember the rest.   Most wouldn't even install.  Others installed but had one glaring issue; Mint installed but the wifi simply would not work. 

Ubuntu is the only one that works and it doesn't work well.  It's laggy, the wifi is very flakey; slow & intermittent and I can't get the brightness buttons to work.

Frequently the browser stops responding even though ping still works.

In addition, Ubuntu doesn't appear to be that stable on this laptop - I've had numerous freezes & reboots.

The HP support website offers no linux drivers so I can't get something more stable.

In short I'm not considering putting Windows back on it as it's virtually unusable as is.

There's a lot to like about this laptop - the screen is glorious and the keyboard/trackpad pretty nice.

However, as a Linux laptop this is terrible. 

HP Recommended

The above statement is misleading, I own an HP 450 G7 Pro Book that is currently running Fedora and it's almost pristine.  I am really super happy with the laptop and it's ability to run Fedora 32.  It's clean, fast and worked almost right out of the box.  I never had to search for a linux driver at all.  Literally everything works except the hot keys to dim/brighten my display.  Somehow those don't work.  Overall, it's a solid laptop, literally...wifi, bluetooth, webcam, speakers, microphone, battery charging, trackpad, keyboard all work out-of-the-box.

I noticed the person before could even get Fedora to install or any other OS.  To me that smacks of a bios issue, I had to disable a few things in the bios and install via uefi.  Once I did that, the rest was history.  Kudos to HP for building a very linux friendly laptop.

Screenshot from 2020-07-10 21-04-45.png

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.