Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Elitebook 8470W

I have 10 laptops (8470W) that I recently wiped everything off of to give them new ssds and start fresh. Somehow, the Bios passwords have been lost, but HP was nice enough to provide smc.bin files to unlock them with instructions to do so. (Copy file to USB, insert, hold windows+up+down, power on, let go at splash screen, then hit f10 until I'm in the Bios, and reset security settings.) This worked like a charm for 6 of them. The other 4 don't do anything. I hear what reminds me of a drive spinning (maybe the cd drive? These are SSD's), and the wifi, mute, and caps lock button stay lit and my usb dongle has a light that indicates activity, the fan speeds up, and the screen doesn't come on at all for over a minute. It doesn't matter if I continue to hold the keys down or not, it eventually goes into it's usual boot sequence.

My boot sequence is not locked, so I am able to install windows and use the computer with current bios settings, but I sure would like to be able to clear the password. If I can't get the smc.bin file to work,  I've read that it's possible to use a dump file from another bios to reset the bios using a raspberry pi, but is there any way this method be done using command prompt?

Thanks for your help!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.