Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 14-cd0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I was wondering if someone could help me fix a problem I have noticed with my laptop recently.

I have noticed, that the bottom left side corner of the screen is raised. I have tried to lightly push it back in, but to no avail. 

Also, I have noticed that the hinges feel unstable, loose. 

Is there anything I can personally do? Could someone give me instructions to fix this issue? Or would it be better to give my laptop to a professional?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@LizB0leyn 

@LizB0leyn wrote:

Hi, 

I was wondering if someone could help me fix a problem I have noticed with my laptop recently.

I have noticed, that the bottom left side corner of the screen is raised. I have tried to lightly push it back in, but to no avail. 

Also, I have noticed that the hinges feel unstable, loose. 

Is there anything I can personally do? Could someone give me instructions to fix this issue? Or would it be better to give my laptop to a professional?

You are correct:

This type of repair is definitely a task for a professional.

You can use it like it is - but you do need to stop opening and closing the notebook to prevent even more damage.

Why?  As bad as it is now, if the assembly fails, it can leave the computer in worse shape and perhaps inoperable (not able to be used at all).

You are correct:  "pushing it back in" will likely make it worse at this point.

The practical "first steps" after not closing the computer:

What to do Today and every day that you continue to use the computer?

Do keep all your data (files and folders) backed up to other than on the computer itself.  Current backups are essential to protect your data.  If the computer suddenly becomes unusable, it will be too late to backtrack.

Maintenance and Service Guide

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Pavilion 14-cd0000 x360 Convertible PC

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for replying to my question and your advice.

I don't know if you can see in the pictures I attached, but do you think the problem is definitely related to the screen/ hinge becoming loose?

I know you can't see the hinge in the picture, but whenever I open or close my laptop, it feels unstable. 

Also, if I was going to contact a professional, how should I explain the problem?

IMG_20200721_210435.jpg

1.jpg

I don't know if you can see, but the hinge on the left looks slightly different to the right? Like kind of lopsided?

3.jpg

HP Recommended

@LizB0leyn 

Well, it looks like the hinges are failing.

The only other thing that forces a computer base apart is blunt force (cracks the base) or a swollen battery - the battery is not near the hinges nor is it near the display area and you'd know if you dropped the computer hard enough to break it.

I am not a hardware tech.

Regardless, it doesn't change the answer.

Take a look at the service guide - there are a lot of parts involved to repair this kind of damage. 

I would guess, because you are asking the question, the required skill level is beyond your abilities.

That is not meant to be a rude assessment - this kind of repair is beyond a lot of home computer enthusiasts.

Frankly, it may cost more than you believe the computer to be worth.  Obviously, this is a personal opinion.

See if you can get someone to look at it - and decide what you want to do.

All that said,

Request for an Assist

• I will submit a request that someone take a look.

Worth Noting

• Our Community is not HP Technical Support.
  • Our request for assistance on your behalf does not influence the outcome:  Our request is not a magic back door into HP Support.
  • The time frame (how long it takes) for a response is not controlled by the Community.
  • If / When there is a response, a Community moderator / agent will (should) post back on this thread before using other methods to contact you. 

Note to those reading:

• Do not contact random numbers posted in a public or private message by “new members”.  Vermin are looking for victims – don’t be next.
  • Please do not post any personal or case information here - we cannot make use of the data. 
  • Posting personal information at a public site increases your risk from rats and scammers.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Honestly, thank you for all your advice. I really appreciate it. 

I have contacted a professional, and hopefully they can fix it for me. 

Thanks for also explaining the issue, the tech I contacted, understood exactly what the problem was. 

Thanks again 🙂

HP Recommended

@LizB0leyn 

You are welcome, Liz.

Excellent solution, then.

Stay safe.

Resolved / Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.