Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion g6-1301TX
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade my old laptop with windows 10. I have already installed it, but it is not active. I have heard that the windows 7 product key works with windows 10 as well. So can anyone help me with how to get the product key of windows 7, which comes with preinstalled windows? I can see 20 characters out of 25 of that product key.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Saurabh1819 Don't be too hard on yourself, things happen! 😉

That said, I'm afraid the sticker is just a reference and is only available on the device, there's no other way of obtaining it, and the real product key is stored within the BIOS, it's encrypted so once you make use of the HP Recovery media, it would automatically insert the product key, the same will not work on other versions of the windows OS.

I hope that helps!

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Saurabh1819 The product key is inbuilt on the BIOS and though there's a sticker on your device with the details it's only there for reference, there's nothing you can use it for, perhaps, you can tell me what you need it for, and I'll help you with the same.

Also, there's no other way of obtaining the same, unless you have access to windows, it should be available on Control Panel\System and Security\System

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher

Thanks for your answer and parden for my late response.

So the thing is, I want that product key for upgrade to windows 10 as I have heard that genuine product key of windows 7 works with windows 10 for some users.

And Actually, bymistakely I did uninstalled that genuine windows 7 which came with laptop, for upgrading to windows 8 (inactive copy). (That was the foolish thing I ever done in my life..😄)

For this reason I need that key.

I have that on back sticker but last 5 digits are not visible clearly.

HP Recommended

@Saurabh1819 Don't be too hard on yourself, things happen! 😉

That said, I'm afraid the sticker is just a reference and is only available on the device, there's no other way of obtaining it, and the real product key is stored within the BIOS, it's encrypted so once you make use of the HP Recovery media, it would automatically insert the product key, the same will not work on other versions of the windows OS.

I hope that helps!

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had bought Laptop long ago - close to 10 years back. the win7 Keys sticker on laptop cover is long gone. i had to reinstall fresh Win7 by formatting the entire laptop. i dont know what were the original Win 7 keys which came with laptop. can you suggest what is best way to get the original Windows keys? besides laptop, i dont have any other accessories which might have come with laptop.

Pls guide.

rgs

ashok

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.