Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 15-au627tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My pavilion pc for the past few times while using, suddenly the display turns into black. Mouse cursor is not also been displayed. Hence I shutdown the pc by holding  the power button for a few seconds. When I again start the pc everything seems to be normal but sometimes as I  have mentioned, display turns into black. 

Also, when pc starts, for a few seconds it makes a sound like as if some  DVD disk is on the pc .

I want someone's help in this regard.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@biki7 Here's what you need to do, to identify the issue and resolve it accordingly:

• If not done already, check if it works fine on the BIOS screen to identify if it's either a hardware or a software issue:
    • If it works fine on the BIOS (Accessed while tapping F10 during a restart) it's a software issue & I suggest attaching an alternate monitor to your device and creating a new user account to check if that works better, for starters)
    • However, if it doesn't work within the BIOS either, I'm afraid it's a hardware malfunction.

While you respond to that, I have a few more steps that should help: 

Perform a power reset (no data loss) using these steps: Click here, proceed to next step if this works

Attempt to run a test from the HP hardware diagnostic tool, using this link: Click here for details.

If the issue appears on the diagnostics, it could again, determine a hardware failure,

If they don't appear on bios & the hardware tests passed: please update the BIOS & Chip-set drivers from the HP website using this link: Click here

if the issue persists, reinstall windows using the recovery partition or the recovery media to fix the issue,
use this link for details on performing the recovery: Click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

my pc has not shown the black display for a while. So if it occurs i will perform a power reset. I hope this will resolve the issue.

I am facing another problem. my pc battery does not get 100 % charged no matter how much charging time I give.. It stays at around 80%. I have performed HP diagnostic tests and it shows the battery needs to be calibrated. Will performing calibration help me ? and for calibration as i have gone through HP support assistance it needs 100% battery charge at first. But as my battery only charges to 80% so is it safe to perform calibration? I want your help and suggestion in this regard

HP Recommended

@biki7 Yes, it is safe to perform the calibration, infact, I have a few steps listed below that should help you resolve this concern:

Unplug the charge, Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager:

1) In the search box, type and open “Device Manager”.

2) Expand “Batteries”.

3) Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.

4) Click on “Uninstall”.

5) At the prompt put a check in the box to remove the current driver

6) Shutdown the computer.

7) Remove the battery for a minute and then put it back in. (Skip this step if you have a non removable battery)

8 - When the computer comes back up it should automatically find the driver.

9) Go to Device Manager.

10) Expand Batteries.

11) Right-click the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery" that is listed there.

12) Click "Search automatically for updated driver software"

Do the same thing with Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Embedded Controller.

If the issue persists, run a battery and adapter test using the steps mentioned in this link: Click here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have done the calibration.

battery check says there is no issue but my charging issue is still there. battery report says full charge capacity is 90%. 

Still My laptop does not charge up to 100%, it remains around 80- 85 %. I have also encountered for once that my fans start moving fast when  pc get charged more than 70%. 

In my windows battery report it also does not say any problem. 

during the calibration when I was charging my pc after 30 minutes and so my battery indicates (white light) i.e full charge. but when I checked  it was not.

Is my pc showing  some misinformation with the numbers or what is the issue/

HP Recommended

@biki7 I suggest you create a new user account: click here for details and check if that works, if not, Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I HAVE INSTALLED BATTERY BAR SOFTEWARE . IT HAS DISPLAYED THAT CHARGING RATE IS 0 mW, THE BATTERY IS STILL CHARGING  AT 83.4%

on the other hand when checked the battery icon of . windows it shows 3 hour 53 minutes until full charge

HP Recommended

@biki7 Did you happen to run the hardware tests I had suggested as well? if yes, please respond with the test results,

Good luck!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have once run the system extensive test. It has shown the time that it would take is about 7- 8 hrs. When I started to run the test after passing 1 hr  my pc started getting heat.  You have to charge the pc also at the same time, otherwise the pc will be shut down. But as time went , heating has also increased and so I cancel the test And shut down the pc. As I fear this heating will have negative effects on my pc.

So is it normal to have this heating issue while running the system extensive test or does my pc  having  some problem? 

the heating is very much .

HP Recommended

@biki7 Well, it's bound to heat up naturally when all hardware is checked, however, if its overheating or unbearable to touch, etc..that isn't normal and I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.