Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (287 Views)

My battery drains unusually fast when powered off - what are HP specs for this

Product Name: Envy 15t - W0Q62AV
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My battery drains from 100% to zero in about a week when powered off. A tech, in a chat session, said this was normal, and that HP batteries are expected to drain from 100% to zero in 5 or 6 days when powered off.

That can't be right. A lithium-ion battery should lose about 10% charge per MONTH (http://www.batteryeducation.com/2012/10/battery-self-discharge-rates.html). But according to the tech it loses 15 to 20% charge PER DAY.

What is HP's expected self-discharge rate for a laptop battery when the laptop is powered off?

The "battery test" in the HP diagnostics said my battery was healthy. But I don't think it is. I want to know at what rate a fully charged battery should lose its charge when the machine is powered off so I can tell if my battery is defective.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Master's Graduate
Message 2 of 5 (260 Views)

Re: My battery drains unusually fast when powered off - what are HP specs for this

Hi.

Welcome to forum bhagerty.

Read the information on the following link:Understanding Lithium-Ion and Smart Battery Technology

Improving Battery Performance

Apart from participating in the forum of Hp in English and Portuguese, I am one of the main authors of solutions in the forum in Spanish.

If you want to thank and if it has been useful press the "Like" icon, if the problem has been solved you can press "Accept as a solution", likewise someone else who has the same question or problem can use this solution .
Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (250 Views)

Re: My battery drains unusually fast when powered off - what are HP specs for this

Thanks for responding so quickly!

I read that page, but I'm not sure why you referred me to it. That page has literally nothing to say about my question: at what rate should a healthy battery discharge when the machine is POWERED OFF? I'm not talking about how much of a charge a battery will hold, or how long the charge will last when the machine is under load (questions the page does indeed address).

My battery discharges very fast when the machine is POWERED OFF. As the link that is included in my post shows, a lithium-ion battery should self-discharge at a rate of 10% per MONTH. Mine seems to discharge at a rate of 15-20% per DAY. That can't be right. I want to know what HP thinks a normal self-discharge rate should be. I do not believe the tech who told me a battery should go from 100% to zero when POWERED OFF in 5 to 6 days.

Master's Graduate
Message 4 of 5 (248 Views)

[ Edited ]

When you shut down the computer with the battery in place, the Windows 10 system does not shut down completely, it is still active. It is in a kind of suspension so windows 10 can boot faster when it is turned back on.

There is an answer on this topic in the forum of Hp in Spanish:http://h30467.www3.hp.com/t5/Hardware-para-notebooks/HP-Envy-4-se-agota-bater%C3%ADa-estando-apagado...

Testing and Calibrating the Battery

I hope I've helped.

Apart from participating in the forum of Hp in English and Portuguese, I am one of the main authors of solutions in the forum in Spanish.

If you want to thank and if it has been useful press the "Like" icon, if the problem has been solved you can press "Accept as a solution", likewise someone else who has the same question or problem can use this solution .
Honor Student
Message 5 of 5 (217 Views)

Okay, perhaps Windows 10 "fast startup" is the problem. I have disabled it (instructions here: http://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/). I will see if that solves the problem. (Fast startup is not really necessary with an SSD.)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation