Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Elitebook 820 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had two examples of a really annoying problem with this monitor type. The monitor is  in a pair attached to an HP slim dock which has an Elitebook 820G3 attached. One of the monitors is not detected by Windows 10 and the following steps were taken to resolve the problem

1. Switch off/on

2. Change DP cable

3. Switch off working monitor/disconnect working monitor DP from dock

4. Changed dock

5. Update laptop BIOS/dock firmware and display adapter

6. Changed laptop and substitute an Elitebook 830 G6

7. Tried direct HDMI monitor to laptop

None of the above made any difference the non-working monitor immediately went to sleep on boot up.

Now here is the bizarre conclusion:

Carried the monitor back to the workshop and connected firstly with HDMI directly to the G6 that it didn't work on at users desk and hey presto all working again.

Tried on slim dock via DP as part of a pair (the other is an E232 and again immediately worked.

This is the second time I've seen this problem this week and with the same result. The first I returned to the user where it wouldn't work and suddenly it's being detected again and working.

I await returning this second one but fully expect to see the same result.

Does anyone have any clues as to the cause?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.