Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Elitebook X360 1030 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi there - hoping somebody might be able to advise on the first of what might be a few questions for my new HP laptop.

I have recently become the owner of an Elitebook X360 1030 G3.  This is to replace my Spectre X360 which kept having fan issues, so I thought a proper business grade laptop might avoid this.  I got my Spectre at the beginning of March, and bought a monitor for it in May, the HP Z24N G2 which worked fine with the Spectre using an HDMI cable and an HP USB-C™ to Multi-port Hub to connect.

Now, having received my Elitebook and plugged in to the multi-port on the same specs, nothing happens with the monitor.  I installed a driver for the monitor, and my laptop lists it in device details, but it does not turn on the monitor.  I contacted HP Customer support, and they said that the Z24N G2 is not compatible with the Elitebook, and referred me to a list of HP Monitors, which as far as I could see, had pretty much the same specs (I only want a 24" monitor) and are meant to be business grade.

I emailed HP, who have been rather unhelpful so far and told me I just have to buy a correct monitor.  Given that this year has been a real drag since I switched to HP, I'm not very interested in doing this, I only bought the first one this May.  So I wondered if there is anything out there that will enable the Elitebook to connect with the Z24N?  Or, if I really am doomed here - any non HP laptops that you could recommend that are compatible with an Elitebook, as I don't want to get stuck in this ecosystem if this is the case.

Many thanks for any advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is no reason, other than a hardware problem, that the x360 1030 g3 (i am using the same laptop right now) will not properly support the z display z24n g2. what happens if you connect the hdmi cable directly from the laptop's side port to the display? and what is the usb-c hub you mention? what are you using it for?

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

There is no reason, other than a hardware problem, that the x360 1030 g3 (i am using the same laptop right now) will not properly support the z display z24n g2. what happens if you connect the hdmi cable directly from the laptop's side port to the display? and what is the usb-c hub you mention? what are you using it for?

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
HP Recommended

Thanks @soccerdan - I have tested it further, and spend 90 minutes with HP tech support in my laptop, and it transpires that the laptop has a faulty install of windows on it..  You are right, I did get it to work with the monitor in the end - it worked directly plugged in, but not on the HP USB C multi point adaptor I have that was fine with the Spectre..

Hopefully I can get this all sorted out - bit disappointing that both high end laptops I've had this year have been faulty, but at least this is software rather than hardware.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.