Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eclipse2017
Level 3
44 40 1 12
Message 31 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I caved and preordered a pre-built ZBook 17 G5 from BHPhoto in New York: release of pent-up frustration. :Glasses: Feels good.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
SkyHermit
Level 2
10 10 0 4
Message 32 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We also "caved" but in the opposite direction. After HP announcing the ZBook Studio G5 and Studio X360 in late March with a promise for May availability we were all set to move our account of 20 years with Dell to HP. However, after our HP sales rep repeatedly postponed and put us off w/o any reasonable explanation or believable strategy for how and when we could order or even get quotes and assurance of a date for delivery, we went ahead and ordered Precison Mobile Workstations. To be honest, we are totally pleased with the quality and workmanship and performance (and even the new "Brushed Onyx" color which is a terriffic deep mirrored black finish). The i9 processor is more than enough speed and the dGPU is also better than the graphics which HP is offering. So having machines on our desks and all set up running the latest Intel chips and fastest SSDs on the market is a huge relief.

Just wish someone at HP could tell us what the heck happened and why they couldn't simply make an obvious sale. Just seems strange, as in not having their act together. Do they treat all their customers so poorly?

Eclipse2017
Level 3
44 40 1 12
Message 33 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, I think you made the best decision there, SkyHermit. I've been very pleased with the older generation of Dell mobile Precisions. The 7000 series redesign didn't really 'float my boat', though: I still prefer traditional HDD slots and a blu-ray drive for writing to optical media. I'm a relic.

Although this will be my first ZBook I do own HP's Z820 workstation which has been a flawless performer for four years now. HP service, for me, has been first-rate as well. Anyway, I'm hopeful everything turns out okay with the imminent release of the machines.

stathwomp
Level 2
23 20 0 2
Message 34 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well,  we gave them a deadline of the 20th, which they'll make if this pricing snafu isn't another delay tactic. 

SkyHermit
Level 2
10 10 0 4
Message 35 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Today the ZBook Studio X360 was (FINALLY) released. I worked up a configuration on the web and couldn't believe the pricing (our needed specs with 3 yr warranty came to $7,402), so spoke with our HP sales rep. He worked up a quote for us and with discount it still was $6,728. The exact same configuration on a Dell Precision 5530 (but with a more expensive i9 cpu rather than the Xeon and a Quadro P2000 rather than the P1000) was $4,829 on the web and $4,370 with discount. How can it be that the ZBooks are $2,400 more? Both are this year's Intel 8th gen cpu and the 2T PCIe NVMe SSD, 32 GB ram and Win10 pro for workstations are identical. What is causing the difference in pricing? I understand that the X360 is pen enabled and that form factor is of course worth something ($500-800?). But over $2,000 difference makes it impossible for us to make the purchase. We could just buy the Dell plus a fully spec'ed Lenovo Yoga 920 and come away with more money in our pocket!

stathwomp
Level 2
23 20 0 2
Message 36 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@SkyHermit wrote:

Today the ZBook Studio X360 was (FINALLY) released. I worked up a configuration on the web and couldn't believe the pricing (our needed specs with 3 yr warranty came to $7,402), so spoke with our HP sales rep. He worked up a quote for us and with discount it still was $6,728. The exact same configuration on a Dell Precision 5530 (but with a more expensive i9 cpu rather than the Xeon and a Quadro P2000 rather than the P1000) was $4,829 on the web and $4,370 with discount. How can it be that the ZBooks are $2,400 more? Both are this year's Intel 8th gen cpu and the 2T PCIe NVMe SSD, 32 GB ram and Win10 pro for workstations are identical. What is causing the difference in pricing? I understand that the X360 is pen enabled and that form factor is of course worth something ($500-800?). But over $2,000 difference makes it impossible for us to make the purchase. We could just buy the Dell plus a fully spec'ed Lenovo Yoga 920 and come away with more money in our pocket!

Yep, After over 20 years we have to switch from HP to Dell. Here is an excerpt from our correspondence (with permission, of course) :

So the configurator for the ZBook 17 G5 is live on the HP website. I configured the following, which is what I need: 

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations 64 - HP recommends Windows 10 Pro
ZBook 17 G5 with Intel® Xeon® E-2186M processor (2.9 GHz, up to 4.8 GHz with Turbo Boost, 12MB cache, 6 core) + Intel® UHD Graphics P630 (2XD22AV)
No Adobe Software
ENERGY STAR Qualified Configuration
No AMT vPro™ Technology Supported
17.3" diagonal UHD LED UWVA for HD Webcam + IR slim Touchscreen Ambient Light Sensor (3840x2160)
Integrated HD 720p Infrared (IR) DualAryMic Webcam
NVIDIA Quadro P5200 (16 GB GDDR5 dedicated) Graphics
32 GB (2x16 GB) DDR4 2666 ECC
2 TB PCIe NVMe TLC SSD
No Internal Storage
Blu-ray R/RE DVD+/-RW SM DL
Dual Point Backlit spill-resistant Keyboard
WNC XRAV-1 Near Field Communication (NFC)
Intel 9560 ac 2x2 +Bluetooth 5 (vPro disabled)
No Broadband Wireless
Fingerprint Reader
200 Watt Smart PFC Slim AC Adapter
C13 1.0m Tag Premium Power Cord
Country Localization US
6 Cell 95.6 WHr Long Life Battery
Three-year (3/3/0) limited warranty
Intel® Xeon® Label
Elite Services Information Card

The configurator quoted $10,763. 

Here's the deal:  the exact same configuration and specifications for a Dell Precision 7730 is $6,316.

I hope we can come to a compromise on the price because the Dell is looking awfully tempting. 

So HP has lost their damned mind! 
Eclipse2017
Level 3
44 40 1 12
Message 37 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Goodness me. It seems that HP is trying to discourage customers from custom configurations at this point. At least for the ZBook 17, all of the pre-built options are reasonably priced. The custom configurations, though, are completely insane price-wise.

HP's piecemeal roll-out, wrong listed specs (listing P3000, P4000 Quadros when they mean P3200/P4200, for example), incomplete product ordering pages are in direct contrast to Dell's professional product roll-out and to Apple's new MacBook Pro roll-out this morning. A real shame.

SkyHermit
Level 2
10 10 0 4
Message 38 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Eclipse--

I just checked on the custom configurations for the Studio X360 and I don't think that they are "reasonably priced". For a ZBook Studio X360 with an i7-8850H cpu, Quadro P1000 gpu,1920 X 1080 display (i.e. 2K), 8 GB ram, 256 GB SSD, 64 Whr Battery and no software, no NFC, no mobile broadband, on on-site warranty, etc. the price is $4,700. 

That is $500 MORE than a Dell Precision 5530 with:

i9-8950HK cpu, Quadro P2000 gpu, 3840 X 2160 4K display, 32 GB Ram, 2T PCIe SSD, 97 WHr Battery and 3 years of next business day on site service warranty.

Who would want the HP with a price and spec difference like that?

What is wrong with you HP? We have been waiting for these systems for over 3 months and this is how you "make it up to us"?

stathwomp
Level 2
23 20 0 2
Message 39 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pretty sure it's a delay tactic. They are late to the game and they have to have something to say "Look! We have the best stuff! Just, uhh,  you uhh, don't buy a functional system with enough memory. Look at the 8GB RAM monster ready for delivery! "

Eclipse2017
Level 3
44 40 1 12
Message 40 of 47
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi SkyHermit,

Yeah, that's a steep price difference. I think HP always had a $200 - $400 premium on comparable Dell systems. For my pre-built ZBook (4RA00UT) the cost is $3909. The identical specification Dell 7730 comes in at $4027.

Hi Stathwomp,

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. My hope is that HP doesn't build the new workstations like they sell them.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation