Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Zbook 15u G6 Mobile Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Would be extremely grateful of help to get my 4 Month old Zbook operating again! It failed to turn on last week, HP eng called, new motherboard diagnosed, fitted, but processor memory showed signs of it having got to hot! New module replaced yesterday, now wont boot as it is asking for bit locker encryption key? I never knew this was on there, let alone have a key copy! I have 4 months worth of work on SSD and not able to get too, i was stupid enough to have had faith in a new Note book and did not back up!!! I now work off old HP Pavillion dv9000 and this is stable and backed up; just need to know if I can get into the OS to save my data as HP have said only to reset OS!! 

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I am not an HP employee, but I've seen this before. They say:

"The Community policy prohibits us to give information about bypassing passwords, encryption keys, or other security measures."

I can tell you how to backup without OS, though.

1. Restart and immediately press F11 rapidly until the HP logo and Please wait comes up.

On the Choose an option screen,  go to Troubleshoot, the Advanced options.

Click Command prompt, then type notepad.exe.

Click File, then Save. You can also just do Explorer.exe.

Backup your personal files to a USB or other means of storage, and reset your PC. Afterwards, reinstall apps and copy your files back so you have a backup. Also scan for malware or ransomware.

HP Recommended

Hello

as motherboard has been replaced , you changed the TPM. so when you boto the computer , ans Windows want to boot, it read TPM chip, as it doesn't find the required information , it as kfor the bitlocker key.

if you didn't save bitlocker key and your  are not part of a company domain , you lost all your work.

I use bitlocker , I have a copy of bitlocker key in my wallet, this is to let you understand that you never know when you will need it but it will happen.

bye

HP Recommended

Apologies for jumping in unannounced.

@T3KKW 

If HP onsite engineer completed the work you describe -

If HP Support authorized and completed the work regardless of location -

Then you do need to contact HP Support

and

You might be able to use your existing contact information and case number (do NOT post that information here)

Why Contact HP?

"We" are not HP Support - "we" are a volunteer community.

Zbook is covered by a decent warranty from HP.

Warranty is not magic - it does afford you access to HP business class support.

That said,

• I have submitted a request that someone take a look.
  • Please know that because our Community is not HP Technical Support, we are not a direct conduit to HP.
  • If / When there is a response, a Community moderator / agent will (should) post back on this thread before using other methods to contact you. 
  • Do not contact random numbers posted in a public or private message by “new members”.  Vermin are looking for victims.

Note to those reading:

• Please do not post any personal or case information here - we cannot make use of the data. 
  • Posting personal information at a public site places your privacy at risk from scammers.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the reply. Yes all lost 😞 I have now has OS reinstalled and both external SSD and Cloud back up in place 🙂 

HP Recommended

@T3KKW 

Good to hear it is sorted - sad about the files, of course.   Thank goodness for a decent backup plan.  Smiling.

Congrats on the new Zbook, by the way. 

Zbooks are lovely machines.

Stay Safe.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi @T3KKW

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.