Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

unless the BT module is made for the computer it wont work nor will it even plugin to the connector on the computer.  Right now there is no need to replace the motherboard but if a replacement BT module does not work then we will be at replace the motherboard.  You could always just use a USB BT module.

Please remember to select the answer
HP Recommended

It's the same BT module with the same connection interface. So, there shouldn't be a problem plugging it in.

The "made for the laptop" expression sounds like a whitelist, which the laptop doesn't have.

Anyway, using a combo wifi card should be the definitive solution. The DW1702 should do the trick. Since that failed too. I just don't know what else is wrong. It's like the bios is blocking or rejecting the BT functionality.

BT dongles always provide the worst BT experience. I already have one. But it provides poor performances.

HP Recommended

NONE OF THOSE WORKED.

The spare module has failed too.

I think that the BIOS is the culprit.

Since I can't really live without BT and can't use BT dongle all the time, I guess I will have to resell the laptop again.

HP Recommended

After many attempts and research, I found a logical explanation:

The core of the problem:

HP Connection Manager

The solution:

NO SOLUTION YET (MAYBE NEVER ... ??? !!!)

The logical explanation:

The person that sold me the Laptop had probably switched off the BT and had reinstalled Windows 7. Reinstalling the OS with BT turned off in HP Connection Manager software causes the BT to be disabled in the new installed OS and any other OS installed on the computer. In this situation, the BIOS doesn't see the BT hardware too. Hence, it removes any information related to BT in BIOS until a BT hardware is detected. The BT on the combo card made no difference because it uses the same port as the BCM92070MD BT module which is the USB port. Basically all BT devices use USB port on laptops. So, it's treated as the BCM BT module and won't get power from BIOS either.

The funny part:

To be able to reactivate BT with HP connection manager, you need to install BT drivers first. To be able to install BT drivers, the BT hardware has to be powered on (as precised by HP on the Broadcom Bluetooth Software download page). For the BT device to be powered on, it needs to be recognized by the BIOS which will -- I assume -- allocate appropriate power to it; otherwise, no power at all. For the BIOS to do that, it has to see the BT hardware too which got disabled by HP connection manager software in the first place and was then ignored by the BIOS I guess.

The perspectives:

I think using a restore DVD to restore the laptop will fix the problem. But I don't have such DVD. So, that's probably not a solution.

Or, maybe if I can find a way to install the drivers without having to turn BT on first, maybe it will be detected upon reboot. But that seems very unlikely ...

The conclusion:

No integrated BT will probably work on this laptop. Only a new motherboard should fix this. But a BT dongle is a way cheaper solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.