Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ProBook 450 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Clean install of Win 10 1803 Pro. Bios and all drivers are current (according to hp Support Assistant). Battery check OK, no calibration needed. BIOS reset to defaults.

Windows 10 doesn't show remaining time on battery, only % (even tried different power profiles). Surprisingly it DOES show time to full charge!

>wmic path win32_battery get ..

EstimatedChargeRemaining=97
EstimatedRunTime=

IT IS EMPTY !!!

Please advise!

Thanks

MP

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

This is not a defect it is a feature. Microsoft made the decision to remove the remaining time meter because it is known to be inaccurate:

https://superuser.com/questions/1300517/missing-battery-time-remaining-estimation

But at the bottom of this other Forum thread are instructions to get it back with a registry edit. 

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the answer you needed. 

HP Recommended

Sorry but this is BS (Bad Statement). I have old good ProBook 6460b right next to me, 1803 installed, remaining battery displayed in both percend AND MINUTES.  So definitely nothing has been removed by default, or atleast it's not black/white.

Back to my 450 G5. I already have

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

EnergyEstimationEnabled=1

I'll try to add:

UserBatteryDischargeEstimator:ffffffff

and see if THAT one helps. Keep fingers crossed pls.

MP

HP Recommended

No combination helped. Here's what's on WORKING hp probook:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power]
"Class1InitialUnparkCount"=dword:00000040
"CsEnabled"=dword:00000001
"CustomizeDuringSetup"=dword:00000001
"EnergyEstimationEnabled"=dword:00000001
"HiberFileSizePercent"=dword:00000000
"MfBufferingThreshold"=dword:00000000
"PerfCalculateActualUtilization"=dword:00000001
"TimerRebaseThresholdOnDripsExit"=dword:0000003c
"OneSettingPowerButtonBugcheck"=dword:00000000
"HibernateEnabled"=dword:00000000

Anyway current 450 G5 BIOS DOES IS BUGGY. I tried to disable battery (as it's non - removable, but):

- Battery Safety Mode [x] does NOTHING, the computer CAN be powered on without power adapter

- Disable battery on next shut down is greyed out.

MP

HP Recommended

It actually started with 1709 but I can say all the laptops I have been using had the remaining battery runtime disappear after the new Windows 10 version was installed. It does not bother me since I know it is a WAG (wild afflicted guess) anyway. 

HP Recommended

Although your reply is obviously right, it doesnt help me. And I'd be less strict - the only guess is the future load. Rest is pretty rigid.

So I'd rather let my computer do the differential calculus than myself. 

MP

P.S. what does your car say when you're running of gas? That you have 8% of your tank left, or that you have 50 miles left?

HP Recommended

Neither one its an old school analog meter which is also notoriously inaccurate. Do you wait until the thing drops below the E line to put more gas in? Not sure why it makes any sense to even argue about this. But thats what we do I guess. 

HP Recommended

Again, simple differential calculus. If you refuel too soon (=>often) , then you waste your life refueling. If too late, you risk you'd push / walk to pump. And ofcourse consider the risk factor yo can accept.

But we're getting offtopic.

MP

HP Recommended

new BIOS Q85 Ver. 01.02.07 (had to download manually, hp ass. is unusable) , still not solved. Time to full charge displayed, time on battery not.

Please hp fix it.

MP

HP Recommended

BIOS Q85 Ver. 01.03.00 brought no change (but small heart attack when computer went beeeep beeeep bep bep bep bep after BIOS update for like 10 minutes).

😞

MP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.