boris_M
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Notebook charging through the thunderbolt port of eGFX Breakaway Box 550

HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 850 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have got HP EliteBook 850 G5 with external eGFX Breakaway Box 550 attached via thunderbolt port.

From specsheets of the eGFX Breakaway Box 550 i have found the information that it provides laptop charging up to 87W.

But my laptop is not charging via this port, only from power adapter.

Is there any settings in OS wich will unlock the notebook to recieve power via thunderbolt?

3 REPLIES 3
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In a recent discussion in the forums, one of the HP Experts checked with HP staff and was told that most if not all current HP notebooks that have a DC power jack lack the hardware to charge over USB-C / Thunderbolt. If your system supported USB-C charging, I would expect it to charge from your eGPU enclosure automatically.

However, there is something that doesn't fit with that explanation and your system. QuickSpecs mentions USB-C charging several times, even down to giving the part numbers of some HP USB-C chargers as accessories. It is possible that QuickSpecs is mistaken, but it seems that your system is intended to support charging over USB-C. Have you got any other USB-C devices and do they charge from the eGPU enclosure? Can you get hold of a HP USB-C charger and try it on your system? Can you get hold of another Thunderbolt cable and try it with your eGPU and EliteBook?

Other than perhaps on those systems with power requirements that exceed the 100W limit of USB Power Delivery, such as many of the ZBooks, I suspect that full support for USB-C charging will become the norm with DC power jacks either disappearing or remaining as an alternative charging route.

0 Kudos
Joel_R
Level 7
Level 7
299 293 32 115
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am not familiar with the eGFX Breakaway Box 550 so I can't comment on what power level (claim is 87w) is coming out of this device.  That being said, the 840 G5 supports charging via DC jack and USB-C.  HP sells 45w & 65w USB-C adapters for the 800 Series G5 so charging via USB-C should not be an issue.

Looking at the eGFX site it does say that the client system should be running Windows 10 1709 or higher.  The eGFX box appears to be an external graphics\storage system you might want calculate what is running internal to the eGFX box.  If you have several devices running through the eGFX box you might not be able to send enough power out through the USB-C port to charge the notebook.

Joel

I am an HP Employee.

If you like my post, click the thumbs up.
0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Joel_R

Do you or anyone else at HP know whether the 840 G5 - and perhaps other systems - requires an E-marker chip in the cable for USB-C charging to work? If so, the possibility exists that the cable @boris_M lacks this chip and so will not charge the system.

It is perfectly possible to build a Thunderbolt 3 cable that doesn't have a E-marker and my understanding is that such a cable will pass Thunderbolt certification requirements. It will not, however, work in any scenario that requires an E-marker.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation