cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mliley
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 9
Flag Post

Print jobs from Word get hung up in the printer and keep trying to print.

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)
I just got a new computer with windows 10. My printer (HP Pagewide) is only two months old. Since setting up the new computer I cannot print from word without the document getting stuck in the print spool and stopping all printing from progressing. Excel etc work fine and process and clear the print spool but not Word documents. They print once but remain in the spool in printing status and refuse to clear to allow other documents to print. Can’t even cancel them without rebooting the computer. Have the same problem with Crystal Reports.
Anyone know how to fix this?
8 REPLIES 8
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 2 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I would be surprised if your new computer had Windows 10 (32 bit) - Windows 10 (64 bit) is perhaps more likely.

Have you attempted to download and install the latest drivers for the printer from the hp.com web site - perhaps via the "Easy Start" facility at https://123.hp.com ? How is your printer connected to your computer?

You may get better answers in the relevant printer forum, as this is more a printer driver issue than a laptop one. Maybe a moderator will move this thread across to the Inkjet Printing forum.

0 Kudos
Mliley
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Yes have tried the print drivers and uninstalling
0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 4 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is the printer network connected, or are you connecting it via USB? If it is on the network, try a USB connection to see whether the problem remains or goes away. You may have to uninstall and reinstall the drivers to switch connection type.

When you get the issue, does the print job never start printing, or do your pages print but the print job remains in the queue preventing further printing?

0 Kudos
Mliley
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
It is connected via USB. We tried the network and wireless still no luck. Tried uninstalling and new drivers still nothing.
0 Kudos
Mliley
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 6 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended
The document prints but does t clear to allow further printing. If you force clear the spool it just prints the original document over again and hangs up again
0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 7 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It might be worth turning Word's background printing off to see if that makes any difference. In Word 2016 it's File -> Options, Advanced, then scroll down around half way to the Print heading and uncheck "Print in background". Does that change the behaviour in any way?

0 Kudos
Mliley
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 8 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just tried it and it didn't make a difference

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 9 of 9
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK - that was a thought. I would set Word back to background printing, which is the default.

Two thoughts suggest themselves. Firstly, I would try this troubleshooter (click). If that doesn't move you forwards, try the PCL6 version of the HP Universal Print Driver instead of the driver you have installed. Does that work any better?

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation