20 11 0 2
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

ProBook 470 G5 motherboard noise/ whine

HP Recommended
ProBook 470 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear HP Community,

I got an HP ProBook 470 G5 (i7-8550U) and it makes a strange noise/ whine  (here are three sound samples).

Since it has no HDD, I think it comes from somewhere on the motherboard and it may have to do with the state of the processor (i.e., in load 40% or higher the sound decreases in intensity).

Two possible solutions:

• if I disable Turbo Boost in Bios, the sound drops considerably
  • if I change the settings in Power Options -> Advanced Power Settings -> Processor Power Management -> Minimum / Maximum processor state to less than 100% the noise decreases in intensity

However, for both solutions, the score in CPU Mark drops from ~ 8200 to ~ 5500. So, there is performance loss.

Other mentions:

• I've tried the latest drivers, both from HP, and those from Intel
  • this is the second ProBook 470 G5 that has the same problem (i.e., it's actually replacement to the first which I returned for the same reasons mentioned here)
  • about two weeks ago I had the same problem with an Envy 17-ae120nd with the same type of processor
  • my issue seems to be related to this post on the HP forums

This is the manual of the product in question: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05695303

I'm curious if you have any ideas about the cause of this this issue. I think my only option is to return it---three products with the same issue in about two weeks seems to me more than simple bad luck...

Thank you for your help.

12 REPLIES 12
TryToDoMybest
Level 8
829 820 81 166
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello

if BIOS version is not 1.08 , download latest from here : http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp82001-82500/sp82335.exe  

and try to see if it fix it.

Bye

0 Kudos
CMihai
Author
Level 2
20 11 0 2
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended
It says that Bios is not compatible with this laptop.
0 Kudos
CMihai
Author
Level 2
20 11 0 2
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any other ideas?

0 Kudos
Andreas_Kal
Level 1
12 8 0 1
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello Mr CMihai,

i have bought the same laptop 10 days ago and it does the same noise as yours. I haven't solved the problem though.

I have connected another (identical) charger because i thought that the charger was broken, but the noise didn't went away.

I have run HP's component tests for the battery and the AC adaptor and it didn't find anything wrong.

I have shown the problem to the technical team of the store that i bought the laptop and they said that such kind of noise is not harmful (but i say its certainly annoying some times) and that if i ask for a replacement from the HP then it is very possible that they will return the laptop back to me, telling that there is nothing wrong with it. 

For the past days, before i ask for a replacement, i try to search on the internet for solutions with no success. So did you manage to find any solution? Because from your post, i understand that even if i get a replacement i might not solve the issue.

Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
CMihai
Author
Level 2
20 11 0 2
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi there, it took me 10 minutes to login into my account because HP because of the new UI...

To answer your question:

• what you are dealing with it is called coil whine and HP does a good job at not making this transparent. Type coil whine on YouTube and you will see some examples & explanations.
  • the bottom line with coil whine is that it is hardware-related: you can't get rid of it. In fact, it is most likely by design meaning that not even a new laptop/ motherboard gives you the guarantee that it will not be there.
  • coil whine doesn't mean that your hardware is broken, it is just annoying. It is normal to be present but it should be at an inaudible frequency for humans. However, due to some poor choices in terms of build materials, you get to hear it.

My experience with HP laptops and coil whine lately:

• I tried: ProBook 470 G5 (x2), Envy 17, ZBook 15. They all had it. My 4 years old ProBook 450 G1 doesn't have it.

You can't really get rid of it without voiding the warranty, but you can make it less audible. The sudden change in voltage makes the coils on your motherboard resonate at a frequency that you can hear. So, I tried the following:

• disabled turbo boosting (that means you limit the CPU clock multiplier at its base value, in your case that would be either 1.6Ghz (i5 Kaby Lake R) or 1.8Ghz (i7 Kaby Lake R)). Normally that CPU should be able to overclock itself up to 4Ghz so that's quite a performance hit you get...
  • disabled Deep Sleep in Bios or anything related to that. This is bad for battery.
  • went to Power Plans -> Advanced Settings -> Processor State and set the minimum and maximum values to the same level. This ensures that your CPU stays always at the same clock speed, hence drawing the same amount of power from your charger. Again, this is bad for battery, because under IDLE periods, your CPU should normally underclock itself to prolong battery life.

Unfortunately, all these are not really feasible. In my case, I went with a laptop from another company, but still got coil whine. I disabled Intel Tubo Boosting and the coil whine is virtually inaudible. My CPU is i7-7700HQ, so the base clock of 2.8Ghz works fine for me without actually feeling the drop in performance (i.e., for normal office tasks). When I spin two Virtual Machines I have to turn it on, otherwise I experience lag.

I hope this helps you. Most of the times when I approached HP customer support they arranged a replacement for me---but that didn't help. I honestly don't think they consider this to be an issue, but for us, customers, it is---especially when we pay quite a bit of money for a new system.

Good luck with your search and decisions.

Andreas_Kal
Level 1
12 8 0 1
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK your answer is awesome and very helpful as well!

My main question was if i should ask for a replacement. I believe that i will have the same fate with replacements as you and so i will not try it.

I may try the solutions you propose  or i will have to adapt my ears to this noise. Maybe in time I won't hear it so much. And of course it's not a disastrous problem, the laptop is fantastic concerning all the other characteristics. 

Thank you very much for your time! 

0 Kudos
CMihai
Author
Level 2
20 11 0 2
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If the laptop is perfect in every other aspect, I would say it's better not to ask for a replacement because you don't really know what state the replacement will be in.

After a while, you will not notice the sound that often---sensory adaptation. Right now, the nuisance factor is amplified by the fact that the system is new and you are constantly checking it. But once you start focusing on your work, your laptop becomes just a tool to get things done and it won’t bother you that much.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Andreas_Kal
Level 1
12 8 0 1
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ohh i forgot to mention it before.

I had an idea about the noise (maybe a silly one). I noticed that the charger lacks a ferrite bead, a metallic cylinder close to the charger's end in the laptop side of the cable.  My old laptop's charger has one. I have read some staff about this compoent, I know that it prevents high frequency noise from interacting with the laptop's circuits but i am not sure if it would eliminate the noise we are dealing with. Maybe it would. I wonder if i could place one externally around the cable and see what happens but i dont know either if this is possible.

~~~After a while, you will not notice the sound that often---sensory adaptation. Right now, the nuisance factor is amplified by the fact that the system is new and you are constantly checking it. But once you start focusing on your work, your laptop becomes just a tool to get things done and it won’t bother you that much.~~~ 

This is exactly what i am thinking and what already happens when i am concentarting on my actual work. 

0 Kudos
CMihai
Author
Level 2
20 11 0 2
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

About the ferrite bead, that would be helpful to know if you can test it out somehow!

I just inspected my charger and, indeed, it doesn't have one. But, my old ProBook 450 G1 does have one. if you are able to test this, I would very much appreciate if you can write back.

Thanks for bringing this up.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation