Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 450 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Please be informed; there is serious issues with HP laptops which have Mediatek/Railink Wifi-BT combo device installed. Device drivers are too old dated back to 2015. In general Wifi performance is poor and sometimes packets keeps dropping. Besides bluetooth connections usually cause BSOD blue screen during pairing or shortly after pairing. Seems like these problems are down to old Mediatek/Railink device drivers.

Kindly appreciate your support. Thank you 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, there is no fix.   Mediatek hasn't released any newer drivers than the ones currently available.

Actually, I'm surprised the Ralink wifi and bluetooth adapter is working at all in your PC.  They usually completely disappear from the device manager on the last 2 or 3 releases of W10.

If your notebook has two antenna cables connected to the Ralink card, I recommend you replace it with the Intel 7260 AC card.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

You can find that model card on eBay or Ali Express.   Search by the HP part number.

If it only has one antenna wire, then you can replace the Ralink card with this one...

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11bgn 1×1 + BT 4 LE Combo Adapter   HP part #753077-001

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03765776

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and workaround idea but it's not a solution customers expect. Many customers already purchased this laptop which is supposed to give Wifi+BT capabilities during it's lifetime. And as manufacturer of laptop, you are supposed to guarantee that, arent you? This model's manufacturing ended in 2015 so it's not that old either.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Why do you presume that I work for or represent HP?

I don't.

I have volunteered my time for over 10 years to help others solve their PC issues.   I am not the HP complaint department.

I gave you the only solution available to you.  That's on you if you don't want to change the wifi card.

You can direct your concerns to the HP executive team at the link below.

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/connect-with-hp.html

Since HP has absolutely no control over Mediatek as far as releasing new drivers for an obsolete wifi card, I don't think you are going to get very far.

Good bye, and good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.