Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 455 G4
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Having an issue with our Probook 455 G4's and the Microsoft June 2018 update (KB4284835).  When this update is installed, the laptop's internet and overall performance is clobbered.  We have a 200MB fiber connection, which before the update speedtested just fine through all browsers.  With the June update installed, the latency is all over the place bouncing between under 10MB to a max of 25-30MB.  CPU usage spikes to 100% whenever a browser is opened or Cortana is called.  The CPU stays maxed until the browser is closed, even if it is just minimized in the background.

This only affects our Probook 455's with the AMD processor.  Our other clients all run other models with Intel processors.  They have no issue with the update.

The 455's all have the latest BIOS and drivers available through HP.  Version of Windows 10 doesn't matter.  I have tested on 1703 and the latest 1803 with the same result.

Only solution is a workaround to place them in their own WSUS group, and remove the June update from installation.  The May update can be installed without issue.

Any other 455 users having any issue with the latest updates?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I documented this in reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8slcr5/massive_performance_hit_with_w10_in_kaveri_laptop/ 

I solved disabling Meltdown and Spectre patch using registry tweak or InSpectre utility.

Microsoft is enabling any of these patchs in ours Amd Elitebooks and performance hit make laptops unusables

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hello,

Having the same issue on a HP Elitebook 745 G2 with processor AMD A10 PRO-7350B R6.

I currently solve it by uninstalling the update but have to repeat the process after 2 days as it installs again.

Looks like it is AMD related?

I have tested with AMD newest drivers and with the version available through HP, no effect.

Hopefully there will be a fix available soon...

HP Recommended

We don't have any other recent AMDs in the domain, and I was wondering if it was more of an AMD issue versus model specific.

Guess that makes it more of an AMD issue to resolve.

Could you defer your updates until next month's update?  We're lucky that ran a WSUS, and can block the update by policy.

Who knows if the July update won't just include the same bug too...

HP Recommended

My reply was marked as solution, but uninstalling a Windows 10 update is not a solution.

I had to mark al my networks as metered connections to prevent further updates (and enabling "do not download updates over metered connections" in windows update settings).

Not updating windows is not recommended.

I am waiting a month for the next update, but this is not solved!

Can we really conclude that it is AMD related?

It might be any driver or piece of software.

It is a shame that this issue is difficult to google, as many bad pc win10 solution articles are posted and clutter the search results.

HP Recommended

I agree this isn't a true solution, but I can find no other mitigation or even mention of the issue which I do find a little odd.

It could be related to an HP or AMD driver or software package, but it only manifests itself with the June update installed.

I ran two tests on newly imaged systems - one with the 1703 as installed by the HP recovery partition, the other a freshly minted 1803 from a Microsoft ISO with only necessary drivers and no HP "bloatware" installed.

Both ran fine out of the box and with every other critical, important, and recommended Windows Update short of the June update.  Once the June update is installed, instant network speed issues.  Uninstall the update, back to normal operation.

HP Recommended

Hello,

we have a similar problem with a ProBook 655 G3. It seems as if all of the newer Probooks with AMD CPUs are affected.

Overall system performance is very poor after installing KB4284835. Booting the system takes very long, starting programs and interacting with Windows is painfully slow. Same after installing the 2018-07 CU (KB4338819).

We did a fresh Windows installation and the performance was great until we installed one of those two updates. As soon as we uninstall the update, everything runs nice and smooth.

BIOS and drivers are up-to-date with the HP Support Assistant and website.

We have dozens of other ProBooks and Elitebooks with the latest updates and Intel processors that run smooth.

We are now excluding all our 655s from getting the latest updates in SCCM. And we hope for a solution to this problem. I will open a ticket with HP and Microsoft.

CPU: AMD PRO A10-8730B R5

RAM: Hyundai HMA81GS6AFR8N-UH

SSD: Toshiba NVMe____THNSN5256GPUK_TO4

Best regards
Dominik

HP Recommended

Hello

I heard from a friend that instead of usign last BIOS version, they downgrade to the previous one and the 100% CPU isseu desappeared.

So they called HP asking a fix for the issue.

Bye

HP Recommended

Thank you for the heads-up on the July update having the same issue.  I hadn't had a chance to test it on one of my clients yet, but I'll hold-off same as last month.

It's pretty clear we're needing a new round of BIOS updates for HP's with AMD processors to work with the micro-code changes the latest Windows Updates necessitate.  This is most likely on AMD's side and HP is waiting/completing in-house testing, as I've seen quite a few Intel BIOS updates come through in the last couple weeks for my other clients.

I really wish Microsoft would go back to at least having an option for individual updates instead of an all-or-nothing cumulative patch.  The cumulative is great when it works, but I hate not having ANY updates at all when only one of their updates included in the cumulative has a problem.

HP Recommended

The problem is still here.

There was a bios update and new AMD driver available, so I tried it (KB4284835) again.

I installed the new BIOS update:

To: 01.47 (06/29/2018)

The installed the 2018-06 and 2018-07 windows updates.

Problem was still there.

Then update AMD Radeon 18.5.1 -> 18.7.1

Still problem was there.

Can anybody confirm the older BIOS 'solution'?

Which version? 01.45?

Or is there another fix?

HP Recommended

Can confirm that the July re-release of cumulative updates for Windows 10 DOES NOT fix the problem.

Tried kb4345421 on one of the Windows 10 1803's.  Same result.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.