Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Windows updates comes with a new update, named:

HP Development Company, L.P. - System - 5/14/2018 12:00:00 AM - 7.0.2.1

Any clue what that is about?

Anybody tried it?

FYI, my temperorary solution (setting metered connetion and prevent updating  over metered connection) is becomming annoying as I do not receive any windows defender updates anymore for 2 months now!

HP Recommended

Hi John,

this update is for the HP 3D Drive Guard so I imagine it won't help.

But i can't try as I do not have access to an affected laptop right now. And it is from 14 May so we might have already installed it.

Best regards
Dominik

HP Recommended

I documented this in reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8slcr5/massive_performance_hit_with_w10_in_kaveri_laptop/ 

I solved disabling Meltdown and Spectre patch using registry tweak or InSpectre utility.

Microsoft is enabling any of these patchs in ours Amd Elitebooks and performance hit make laptops unusables

HP Recommended

Hi Leonard,

In your reddit thread you mention that you are in an intel i5 device.

Accourding to this thread those devices are not effected.

Someone also mentioned KB4284819, which is different from our problematic update package.

So it seems like a different bug.

Regardless, it could be a solution for us too.

What register tweak did you actually perform?

Is it the registery change mentioned under the title: "Manage Speculative Store Bypass and mitigations around Spectre Variant 2 and Meltdown" on the microsoft website

"I will turn on IBPB and test in my laptop, I only disable meltdown patch."

On Reddit you say you disabled meltdown patch only and here you say Meltdown and Spectre patch?

You say that you used registry tweak or InSpectre utility?

What did you actually do?

With a search on the topic I end-up at a tutorial from how to geek:

"How to Stop the Meltdown and Spectre Patches from Slowing Down Your PC"

They do not recommed to disable it.

Claim that perfermance impact is minimal on windows 10.

And this:
"The Meltdown fix doesn’t apply to AMD systems, but the Spectre fix does. We haven’t seen any performance benchmarks from AMD systems yet, so we don’t know how performance has changed."

I have used the InSpectre tool Gibson Research Corporation’s

Which says that everything is good, but microcode is not detected. (on my smooth running laptop without KB4284835)

So I conclude that I do not have a problem with my AMD HP elitebook and spectre

In conclusion

I do not notice any slowdown from spectre patch, although I am protected.

one question remains:

What did you actually do? And did you notice any change?

HP Recommended

John, my laptop is same as yours(Elitebook 745 G2), only my apu is different, with an a8 7150b. And when I open my google chrome, or any kind of internet app my performance goes away, cpu is 100% all the time, youtube, facebook, only one tab? 100% cpu in kind of things. I don't disable KB4284835, only disable meltdown patch with regedit, but I think is the same as disable in InSpectre utility. After I did this my performance back to normal. I will check this patch and disable that and check meltdown patch again.

HP Recommended

Sounds interesting! Thanks.

The next time I will update everything to check out if it is gone then I will give this a try.

Thanks for pointing it out to this thread!

Maybe some of the professionals in this thread can comment on this fix?

HP Recommended

Hi Dominik, hi all,

I'm also facing this issue with my Probook. (455 G2)

Did you open a ticket at HP and Microsoft and did you get an answer?

Regards, Chris

HP Recommended

It is 100% the Spectre mitigations in the most recent updates.  Without a cooresponding microcode update for the processor, they just tank everything.  InSpectre lists my 455's as missing the microcode update.

I can install all cumulative updates including the lastest one for July, but only if I also disable all Spectre mitigation on the client using either the registry hack from leonard's post or the InSpectre tool.

So, we're stuck waiting on another round of BIOS updates from HP/AMD for our respective models looks like.  In the meantime, I'm going to disable the mitigation on the AMD's so at least the other updates included in the cumulative's from the last couple months can be installed.  Not a great compromise, but better than sitting at May 2018 forever.

HP Recommended

thanks guys, feels good to be up to date again.

I was not abe to use the spectre utility (inluding reboot), did not work.

I deleted two entries in regedit:

FeatureSettingsOverride

FeatureSettingsOverrideMask

in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

and rebooted.

Hopefully a new bios update or microcode will be given by hp/amd

HP Recommended

@JohnClicquot wrote:

thanks guys, feels good to be up to date again.

I was not abe to use the spectre utility (inluding reboot), did not work.

I deleted two entries in regedit:

FeatureSettingsOverride

FeatureSettingsOverrideMask

in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management

and rebooted.

Hopefully a new bios update or microcode will be given by hp/amd

You might want to put those entries back in with decimial values of 3 - which is the setting for full disable.

I have a feeling if the entries aren't present, next month's update will add in its own values again.  You'll be stuck having to delete them again each month.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.