jeremya6
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Probook G5 most bizzare repeated boot problems

HP Recommended
HP Probook 450 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I went on holiday for two weeks and left my laptop powered off and disconnected. I returned and my laptop would not power on.. HP support couldnt' find any way to resolve for any explanation as it was running fine all year up until this.

Replaced the mortherboard and it powered on but then the keyboard didnt work. Ran BitLocker code from USB keyboard and it was 30% through a windows update. The tech said they'd seen this 4x times with enterprise machiches from schooles recently... I used it for the day ok with USB keyboard.

They returned next day and replaced the keyboard.

Then it had a new issue - was making beeps which the tech suspected to be RAM, and wouldnt boot at all with either keyboard....

Returned the next day and replaced the motherboard again and the ram, re-entered bitlocker code, then appeared to all be working fine.

Put to sleep at the end of the day but today it woudln't boot again. Power cycled with long presses of power key several times and eventually booted again but requesting bitlocker key again. Entered code again so now running..

I can't see any logical reason for all of this and am very nervous....

The tech is suggesting replacing the motherboard yet again...

Has anyone experience this before or got any explanations of this?

Does HP sent out refurbished motherboards etc each time which could be faulty 3x in a row...? 

4 REPLIES 4
jeremya6
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any suggestions here??

My woes continue.. 

Had a bluescreen yesterday in the middle of working.

Stop code 1a

Also some of my icons for apps like calculator, Edge, Mail etc have disappeared and also icon for photo files etc in explorer (now imges have the white page looking icon like files that have no extension would)...

My MS account keeps get an error saying Fix Now - but when I click fix, I get an error 0x80090016 so cannot access either of my hotmail accounots in the Windows Mail app..

0 Kudos
David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Whilst it wouldn't necessarily explain the original refusal to power on, I wonder if your primary drive (likely an SSD) and/or RAM is faulty. Do these items check out OK in the HP Diagnostics? Indeed, do all the HP Diagnostics tests pass?

0 Kudos
jeremya6
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ughhh seems to be getting worse now.. Is there a point where HP replace the full computer with brand new (I guess the refurbished parts or something else is at fault here)..?

I'd run the full memory test with windows and it completed without errors..

Today my PC froze while typing away.. Hard rebooted and ran the 10-15min quick test of all components which also came back without any errors.

But when it rebooted I got the bitlocker recovery code again.. Entered this and it powered off again.

Requested BL code again. Entered again and this time was working on updates starting at 19%. These completed then it rebooted again and asked for BL code a third time..!!

Entered again and updates continued from 30% then it booted...

Again I've lost work, wasted a lot of time and am very nervous I may not be able to work soon..

Other suggestions?

Should / can I disable BL for now to be on the safe side?

0 Kudos
SHThompson
Level 12
3,729 3,679 305 670
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hopefully you fixed it by now, but I would have considered disabling BitLocker if I was having so much trouble with it.

Your BitLocker key is stored in the TPM which is part of the motherboard so if you're continually losing it that would indicate a motherboard problem.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation