Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

As a business, we purchased many HP Laptops that came with Windows 7 Pre-installed, but also came with Windows 7 and Windows 10 re-installation DVDs as part of the purchase. Since these Windows 10 DVDs came as part of the purchase, one would think that it is legal for us to re-install Windows 10 on those systems with Windows 7 Pre-installed.

Is this the case? Is it legal as a business to reinstall Windows 10? If so, is it documented somewhere?

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There is no documentation directly from HP that I am aware of.

Here is a link I attached below from Microsoft that explains downgrade rights...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

If HP supplied W10 installation media with the PC's, it is completely legal to install W10.

The PC's came with W7 Pro with downgrade rights from W10 Pro.

If you run the free utility that I zipped up and attached below, you will see that there is a W10 Pro product key in the BIOS, making it legal to install W10 Pro.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response Paul.

However, is there official HP documentation for this?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

There is no documentation directly from HP that I am aware of.

Here is a link I attached below from Microsoft that explains downgrade rights...

HP Recommended

Thanks again Paul. This is what I needed!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.