Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Zbook 17 G5
Other

Hi, first post here and I hope that somebody can help me with what I figure is a rather unusual request.

I would like to be able to use either one m2 and one 2.5" SSD or two m2 SSD's in a RAID 0 configuration with my Zbook 17 G5 and the user manual does not say anything about this so it would be nice if somebody could point me in the right direction.

As I want to eventually use my Zbook with multiple operating systems I cannot use a software RAID that only works in one of them so I hope there is an option to set up a RAID 0 in the bios that can be used by all of them.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello

it should be possible to create a RAID but the disk must be both M.2 NVMe of the same size in Gigabyte.

you find this information in HP zbook 15 G5 quickspecs document.

HP write RAID 1, as it's  what could be done in the factory, but RAID controller suppor even RAID 0 and RAID 3/5 if you have 3 disks

check in in the BIOS setting there is a parameter to enable RAID support.

Ussually you can create a RAID volume press in F3 during power-on phase.

bye

HP Recommended

Thanks, found the menu now, much appreciated!

So the first thing was to try and put two m2 SSD's in the slots on the accessible side of the main board to see if they would register as normal drives. As it only says RAID 1 has to be 2 x NVME drives of the same size I thought that with me looking to build a RAID 0 it should also be possible to use M2 SSD's.

Turns out they don't even show up both. One of the slots does not seem to see the drive at all and as these are the same drives I am not sure which one it is but I figure there must be some documentation about which drives can be put in those slots? 

Maybe some of these slots can only take NVME SSD's but with one of the slots being on the back of the main board I am not willing to find out via trial and error so maybe somebody here knows or ran into similar issues?

HP Recommended

Hello

I don't have the hardware to try

M.2 SSD must be NVMe . RAID is not supported with M.2 SATA SSD.

if you installed two M.2 NVMe SSD, you should se both in RAID menu , accessible pressing F3. this is a way to creare a Virtual disk, either RAID 0 and RAID 1.

Then when I try to install Windows 10 on your virtual disk , in case of RAID 0, is should be two times the same of single disk.

did you see both disks in Intel Utility at BIOS level ?

bye

HP Recommended

I only see one of the drives in the RAID menu and it is the same in Windows.

Both drives work fine when I put them back in my MSI GT72s.

HP Recommended

Could you write here the model name of the disk installed into Zbook , you can find it in device manager, and of the other you add for raid ?

bye

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.