Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to use this PC to read a previous hard drive from another HP pavilion (purchased in September 2016 but now written off by my insurers as the screen got damaged and could not be replaced) vis a USB caddy.

Using the current USB caddy I get a message that it needs to be USB 3.0 compatible and the drive will not read. I have checked with my local tech support and the drive is readable on their system.

How can I resolve this as I need to access it, to retrieve a one off program which was not fully backed up before the laptop got damaged

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Zoe_W wrote:

...  How can I resolve this as I need to access it, to retrieve a one off program which was not fully backed up before the laptop got damaged

Hi,

No, I believe the problem is NOT due to USB 2.0 or USB 3.0. I saw this problem many times and the very simple solution: please do NOT use HP machines, somehow the old HDD has a signature and other HP machines simply reject.

After moving data to other machine, you can format it and you can use on any machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

So I gather it is a usb 2.0 caddy/adapter? Have you tried plugging it into a USB 2.0 port on another computer? 

HP Recommended

@Zoe_W wrote:

...  How can I resolve this as I need to access it, to retrieve a one off program which was not fully backed up before the laptop got damaged

Hi,

No, I believe the problem is NOT due to USB 2.0 or USB 3.0. I saw this problem many times and the very simple solution: please do NOT use HP machines, somehow the old HDD has a signature and other HP machines simply reject.

After moving data to other machine, you can format it and you can use on any machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks I will try Opening it with another PC/Tablet which is not a HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.