Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Zbook G3 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I bought this HP Zbook 17 G3 (Intel Xeon E3-1575M processor with DDR4 Ecc memory) used from online private party,
 I made a huge mistake in updating its BIOS and failed. (The original BIOS appears to  be in manufacture program mode and I tried to update it with the latest BIOS in HP support website
).
while I refreshed it with the new BIOS, it reminded me that the existent BIOS is newer and I proceeeded it anway,
Now the laptop is bricked. When the machine is turned on, it is in dark screen with some blink sound (Capital key and NUM key flashes). I believe that the BIOS is now corruptted. 
 I did try to recover the BIOS after checking some online documents, with Windows + B key (or V key) when turning on the machine, but failed. 
The most straitforward way to fix this is to replace the system board.  After checking the maintenance manual, the part appears to be 901564-601 (windows 10 pro).  However, it is so expensive, costs more than $3100 just for the board.

Could anyone give me some advice? Thank you so much,

gqchen
10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Can you PM me the serial number? I can see what can be done.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, there is NO Serial number (I have searched around this whole laptop). I do know this is Zbook G3 17 mobile workstation with Xeon cpu and ECC memory and windows 10 pro.  Any idea how to recover the BIOS for Zbook series? Thanks again, 

HP Recommended

I'll PM you.

I am an HP Employee
Quality Manager - HP VR / Z Desktops
-----
iMaxx” FORMER VOODOO PC / HP LEGACY GAMING SERVICE MANAGER
While I am an HP employee, my comments and suggestions are my own and do not represent HP Inc.
HP Recommended

Hi, I have same case with him.

I followed the instructons but not effective

Could you help me? Thank you

HP Recommended

Hello, 

have you tried all the options of this article related straight to your issue: Recovering the BIOS ?

I look forward to knowing your updates.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for your answer, I have tried all the options hard reset, recover bios, remove bios pin, ram, battery but didn't work. So I must give to the shop that I bought it and wait about 2 weeks. Do you have any solution for this?n Thank you.

HP Recommended

Have you tried to count the number and kind of blink of CAPS lock led and  Bloc Num as shown here in this article: BIOS flashing light error codes in the "BIOS flashing light error codes" section.

Then follow what is written depending on the issue detected.

Feel free to contact me if you don't succeed.

HP Recommended

My laptop has the same problem and can not turn on after Restore by default in BIOS. All of keyboard light turn on when pressing power buttom and turn off all after 2 seconds, fan spin

Caps lock led turn off

HP Recommended

I seem you missed the third option of this article: Step 3: Create a BIOS recovery flash drive

If that will not work, try this troubleshooting wizard: Welcome to the no power or no boot guided troubleshooter for HP computers

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.