Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Zbook G7 Power
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a Thunderbolt 3 hub made by Plugable and  have tried to get dual HDMI monitors to work using the hub which supports that feature, but I have not be able to make it work so far.

Has anyone been able to make a dual monitor setup work using only the TB3 port connected to a suitable TB3 hub?

I got it to work only by plugging one monitor into the native HDMI port and the other plugged into the TB3 hub both monitors plus the built-in display were working, it should work with both monitors plugged into the TB3 hub.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Plastics_Guy wrote:

... it should work with both monitors plugged into the TB3 hub.

@Plastics_Guy 

I don't know what Plugable hub but I can confirm HP USB-C G5 dock works perfectly with 3 external FHD monitors (I don't have 4K monitors to test and not willing to buy more gears just for testing now).

The HP USB-C G5 works on my HP Elitebook 840 G5 using only one cable from Thunderbolt™ 3 of the host. It also works on my HP Omen but it can't charge the Omen

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and confirmation that "it should work".

The plugable hub is the TBT3-UDC3. I tried it with dual HDMI monitors (not 4K) using their supplied DisplayPort to HDMI adapter cable for the 2nd one. It's quite possible it's a hub issue vs the laptop, which is why I was looking for confirmation that it should in fact work on the laptop using the TB3  port only. That was my understanding.

This is their product claim, it might be that it only works with dual 4k displays. I have not had the chance to test the setup on a laptop with only a USB-C port to verify.

Dual 4K 60Hz Displays

The TBT3-UDC3 provides full 40Gbps bandwidth so users can extend dual 4K 60Hz displays through 1x HDMI and 1x HDMI/DisplayPort with Thunderbolt 3 laptops and dual 1080p 60Hz displays on USB-C laptops.

This Thunderbolt 3 dock is equipped with an HDMI port and a DisplayPort video output, to connect to a wider variety of displays.

Have a second HDMI display? We include an additional DisplayPort to HDMI adapter with the dock, so no need to purchase an additional adapter!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.