Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 845 G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know this question has been asked about previous generations of AMD Ryzen Pro Elitebooks, but I haven't seen it asked for the 8x5 G7 series yet, so here goes:

It appears that some AMD Ryzen Pro CPUs can support ECC when it is enabled by the BIOS. There's much clarity on the topic, especially for the APU's like the Ryzen 7 Pro 4750U (and similar) CPUs in the Elitebook 8x5 G7 series, but it sure looks like it is possible. The current BIOS for the 845 G7 does not support ECC, but could it be added in the future? Or could this be a possibility for the upcoming G8? As one of the very few Ryzen Pro systems with dual memory slots, the 8x5's are some of the only existing hardware with any chance of ECC memory support.

What would it take for HP to investigate enabling this in BIOS? Is there a route to discuss the engineering costs needed?

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Glad you are asking the question.

I too would like a laptop with ECC. We now have memory that is so much more dense than in previous years, (decades even), that un-detected bit errors are quite likely over the life of a modern computer.

It would be wise of HP to have at least 1 laptop, (in several sizes), available with ECC.

--
Kathy Star
Not from around here.
HP Recommended

I've done a little more reading, and it sounds like it might take a little more than just BIOS support - there are 8 lines that would need to be run from each SO-DIMM slot to the package. No idea if HP is doing that already just to future-proof their mainboard designs. No way to know unless someone at HP support looks into it, which I'm getting less hopeful about.

Either way, I still would like to see ECC support on future Elitebook generations. I can always hope someone at HP is listening. I'm also curious what the solutions will look like when we switch over to DDR5, since those modules will be running a form of internal ECC anyways.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.