Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 2540p
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello. I'm having a weird issue with an HP EliteBook 2540p. SD card reader only working if I start (or restart) the laptop AND there is an SD card in the reader while doing this.

Then it works just fine (read,write,format,chkdsk) until I eject the card. Upon inserting it again, I hear "device connected" sound, followed immediatelly by "device disconnected" sound and the card doesn't show as attached removable device. Card reads just fine on other systems. In order to make it work in the laptop again (until next ejecting), I have to leave the card in the reader and start/restart again.

Tested with numerous SD cards of different types and sizes, inlcuding full size SD cards as well as microSD with adapters. Also tested with Windows 7 SP1 32bit and Windows 10 32bit. Reinstalled OS fresh with disk format. Downloaded any driver I could find, including  http://whp-hou9.cold.extweb.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp46501-47000/sp46999.exe. Fully patched both OSes with recommended and optional updates. Behaviour is always as described above. I don't tink it's hardware issue because once I get it working, it works reliably for days or weeks without ejecting, I can read and write gigabytes of data and any possible test I could think of passes, except for ejecting.

==================

Edit: Just to add that now I'm 100% sure it's not the hardware, but drivers/software. Wiped the drive clean again, installed latest Ubuntu Desktop (17.10) 64bit and the SD card reader worked just fine. So, what is going on?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The second sound is a bit disturbing, but the most common thing is that WIndows just fails to assign a drive letter to the device.

This is easy to check. Just start the Disk Management (Open the command prompt and type diskmgmt.msc ) and see if your card is visible but without a drive letter.

If it is, right click on it an assign one (Change drive letters..) . If you pick one that is not in the beginning of the alphabet it seems to stick a bit better.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. I already thought about this and checked - there are no devices without letters in Disk Management. Actually, if I restart the laptop with the card still in the slot, upon reboot I do see it. It has letter, it shows in the Disk Management, it shows in Device Manager under Disk Drives (together with the SSD drive). It shows as label "Ricoh SD Disk Device". But once ejected (or safely removed), I can't get it to show again unless I restart.

What drives me mad really is that the reader works just fine with Linux. I tried with the latest Linux Mint 32bit and just like with Ubunty I have none of the issues. It MUST be a WIndows driver issue.

HP Recommended

Sounds like a driver issue for sure,

Can you please look up the reader  hardware IDs from device manager so that we can search for more drivers (unless you have done that already)

You probably need to select View hidden devices and look under  Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

Right click on the device and select Properties->Details->Hardware IDs Property

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
HP Recommended

Have you checked if any antivirus etc. might be blocking?

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, but in a HP 8570P Elitebook with Win 10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.