Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G8 Notebook PC (19X36AV)
Microsoft Windows 11
Process SECOCL.exe often uses much CPU and very high power usage, also causing the laptop's fan to be very loud. 
Looks like it is related to realtek audio. 
I have the latest audio (and the rest) drivers as well as latest windows 11 updates.
5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi, @tdebug I will need more information from you.

1. Do you recently upgrade your system to Windows 11?
  2. If you did upgrade your system to Windows 11, was the laptop working fine on your previous operating system?
HP Recommended

This issue is not new and I also upgraded to 11 few months ago already. As far as I remember when on windows 10 there was a problem with audio as well. Sound itself was fine, but somehow MS Teams conflicted with internal audio which cause Teams to freeze every now and then. Since I am using jabra speaker anyway, I simply disabled the internal audio back then and the problem was gone. Teams also worked fine in Windows 11 even with internal audio enabled, but a while ago I started to notice the high CPU usage by this realtek audio process.

So the realtek audio driver defenitely need some work or so it seems to me.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my zbook, currently have a case with HP. 

HP Recommended

I had a chat with MS support, which was mostly useless as they always do "lucky troubleshooting" first, asking to reset windows like I have all time in the world reconfiguring everything and of course - no guarantee it would even help. But I also tried to ask what is that app and they only said it is "non essential windows component" and suggested that I can try and delete that file. I didn't delete it, but I first ended the SECOCL.exe process in the Task Manager and then stopped and disabled "Sound Research SECOMN Service". 
I still don't know exactly what is that process, but at least it doesn't affect sound output, so killing it while waiting for support reply seems a working solution.

HP Recommended

Same for me Elitebook 8500 11th Generation w Win10.

And it happens since last BIOS update

SECOCL is using permanent 20% of the CPU

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.