Jenn_Holdcraft
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Screen won't wake up after HP driver updates

HP Recommended
HP Probook 450 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an issue where my probook screen won't wake up from sleep/hiberate - the power button light is on, the keyboard lights up, but the screen just stays dark, and the only thing I can do is a hard reboot.  It's been happening for a while and I changed settings so it wouldn't go to sleep or hiberate for 5 or so hours when open - because it seemed to wake up after the lid being closed so I just didn't want it go to sleep while I was working through the day but not at the machine constantly.  The only time closed lid didn't seem to work was if I had some sort of update.   I have an HP and AMD Radeon display adapter installed and at some point I turned on off and that seemed to work for a while where the machine always woke up after that.  That eventually didn't seem to work anymore and finally a month or so ago I found something online talking about doing a reset of your power settings and used powercfg –restoredefaultschemes  - and that seems to work until some other update happens.  I thought it was Windows updates, but it happened again today and the only update was listed as a driver update - HP Development Company, L.P. - Extension - 8.10.7.1.    I assume if I run the powercfg command it will work again, but does anyone know what is happening?  I have worked around it and tried various things for ages but figured I'd finally ask after I realized today it wasn't Window updates (or at least not them only) that was re-triggering the issue...

Thank you, Jennifer

1 REPLY 1
Maxim__M
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have similar problem.

After driver installation and reboot my laptop did not want to start at all.

Just black screen, big noise from fans, and light from keyboard.

I was not able to enter to BIOS.

F10, F11, F2, Esc did not work.

After about 20 hard reboots I finally was able to start Windows normally.

I have EliteBook Folio 1040 G3.

Related problem I guess:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HP-Development-Company-8-10-7-1...

Looking forward HP will fix their bug.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation