Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre X360 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have a bulging battery that has caused the touchpad to be useless on the verge of popping out.  Out of warranty. I am concerned about further damage/issues).  Is HP still helping with this? 

Note: On a separate note, I am getting the blue-screen of death regularly. So I backup my data constantly. I was on the verge of buying new RAM, as I had heard that RAM may be the cause. But before i potentially spend tons of money on RAM, I want to first see if you can fix my bulging battery. 

I assume that you will fix this at no charge since (a) HP had a huge and well known issue with bulging batteries (which I only became aware of recently) and (c) other threads showing out of warranty Spectres were fixed for free.

Final request: I would much prefer to replace the battery myself. I am CEO of a software company and cannot really send my laptop away for any period of time. I have built dozens of PCs, so I feel comfortable making the switch myself.

thanks,

Mark Shaw

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Mark_Shaw 

You can certainly change out the battery yourself.

In fact, it is very important that you do remove the "fat" battery to prevent damage to other components.

Most notebooks can run on AC power alone once the battery is removed - you know, of course, your machine will be more like a desktop in this case and totally dependent on AC power.  Continue with those backups!

In most cases, the only difficulty is making sure you have the time, space to work, and a modicum of skill to complete the task.

I cannot point you to the exact maintenance guide without the model / product number.

No worries, it is easy to find.

Everything you need should be covered here...

Information

HP Commercial and Consumer Notebook PCs - Swelling or Deformation of Notebook Battery

Replacement and Purchase Options

HP Document:  HP Notebook PCs - Purchasing a Replacement Battery

Find your Product

See:  HP Notebook PCs - How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

OR

Open Support Home

Find Parts and Replacement Procedure

• Open Support Home >> Enter the full model name
  • When the website opens, select category Manuals
  • Look for and open the Maintenance and Service guide for your computer (document name varies)

NOTES  

1. The exact name of the document varies, though usually the word "service" or "maintenance" is included in the name. 
  2. The "Service Guide" and "User Guide" are not the same documents.
  • Part numbers and replacement procedure are listed in the component replacement section (wording varies)
  • Start at the table of contents - look for the replacement section for the Battery.
  • If you have never worked on a notebook, consider reading Chapter 4 to familiarize yourself with the general tasks.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good Reference

HP Collection of “how-to” videos

HP Video Gallery

• Use Categories and / or enter your request in the search bar to narrow the search. 

Examples,

Select Category Computing and Mobile Devices > Battery and Power

Select Category Computing and Mobile Devices > Parts Replacement and Upgrades

Search for replace battery or replace battery x360

Select and watch your Video

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find / Check for parts at PartSurfer / HP Parts Store

Open PartSurfer

• Select your Country
  • Enter the device Product Number , Serial Number, or Part Number in the Quick Search box
  • HINT: To see a system-specific list, replace the Product Number with your device Serial Number
  • Items accompanied by a tiny box in the Add-to-Cart column are available for purchase

Parts marked as "n/a" are not available from HP.

Parts marked as available for purchase might be available from:  HP Parts Store

OR

If HP does not provide the part for retail purchase,

Use your search engine to find a compatible replacement at your favorite online store.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Device Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Device - Solve Problems

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

Open Support Home

Enter the name of your device

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi, Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found the SN and had to use Safari to use PartSurfer (Chrome and Edge showed very odd results) to discover that the part number I am looking for is "902499-856".

But when I navigate to the HP parts store (parts.hp.com) and enter that value, it cannot be found.

So then I entered my SN (5CD7094GT0) into the HP parts store page, it [a] finds my laptop [b] provides me my Model [c] gives me a list of all my parts....EXCEPT the battery (it only provides the RTC battery), which is the one part that I want.

So Partsurfer provides me the part I need (in the Spare BOM tab), yet it cannot be found on the HP parts store. And when I enter the SN into the HP parts store, it doesn't give me the battery part I need. 

So I am stuck and unable to order from the HP parts store. Can you please [a] find me the part number that I need and [b] tell me where/URL and how I can order it?

Thanks so much, Mark Shaw

HP Recommended

@Mark_Shaw 

You are welcome.

It is very common that you must purchase the battery somewhere other than HP.

HP doesn't stock warehouses full of this type of part.

Most times you will have to purchase a compatible battery where you can find it.

A quick check (Google search part  902499-856 ) shows that Amazon has the part - the price is a bit high but there are presumably "14 in stock".

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Battery-Spectre-902499-856-902401-2C1/dp/B081QV3JPZ

Notebookparts lists the battery for bit less (but they might be charging extra for fees or some such thing)...

New Genuine HP Spectre X360 15-BL 15T-B 11.55V 79.2Wh Battery 902499-856

eBay shows this part number as sold-out.  (Could change - I don't shop eBay but I think the stock rotates pretty much constantly between the multitudes of sellers.)

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Answered? Click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.