Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mn79
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Spectre X360 OR Envy X360

HP Recommended

Hi there . I want to buy a laptop but I need advise. Why spectre is much more expensive than  Envy? 

with comparing SPECS  I cannot find out what spectres have that causes this gap. There are 2 links below this 2 model almost have same SPECS  ( even Envy has DDR4 meanwhile spectre has LPDDR3!) but You can see Spectre is about 400$ more expensive than Envy . WHY? just for It is lighter? or there is something that we cannot know from SPECs . Regards

3 REPLIES 3
mn79
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
banhien
Level 19
Level 19
92,694 92,572 11,981 25,543
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@mn79 wrote:

.... WHY? just for It is lighter? or there is something that we cannot know from SPECs . Regards

@mn79

Well, at this stage Spectre class machines are much better quality build. HP has 2 classes of x360 machines and you can see same specs:

(a) Pavilion: mainly plastic body,

(b) Envy: Better plastic body,

(c) Spectre: Alloy body,

Hope this explains a bit more.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

David_J_W
Level 7
917 915 89 267
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The ranges sold primarily as consumer notebooks are Pavilion, Envy and Spectre in increasing order of quality. You might find the headline specifications are the similar between an Envy model and a Spectre model (processor, amount of memory, SSD capacity, screen resolution), but the Spectre will likely be a superior machine in other ways - perhaps smaller, lighter, better battery life, better build quality and/or better quality screen. As @banhein says, Spectre typically means an alloy body, which is likely to be far more robust than a plastic bodied Envy.

Some systems optimised to be small and light use LPDDR3 memory rather than DDR4 as LPDDR3 uses less power and dissipates less heat. The performance penalty for LPDDR3 is there but is often not that much in practice. Having said that, I thought LPDDR3 was being phased out; I'm not sure whether any Intel Core 8th generation processors and chipsets still support LPDDR3. No Ultrabook can be said to be a performance optimised machine - a 15W TDP processor in a small and light chassis means there are limits on the available cooling which will likely lead to CPU and GPU throttling on heavy workloads.

You posted in the business notebooks forum. There are two x360 models in HP's business range - the EliteBook x360 G3 and the ZBook Studio x360 G5. Both have business level manageability, build quality and support, also they have HP supported Thunderbolt and USB-C docking solutions. The EliteBook is a small and light 13.3" machine, whilst the ZBook is a performance optimised 15.6" workstation (45W TDP processors with several hex core options, optional nVidia Quadro dGPU, support for up to three SSDs).

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation