Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 - 13-ac054na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I've had the laptop for a couple of years now (Spectre x360 - 13-ac054na). When I first bought it and started using it I had numerous issues with the screen randomly freezing anything from a couple of seconds to a number of minutes. This, on occasion, could be resolved by either putting it to sleep and awakening, or rebooting, then wait until the issue occurred again. Then, all of a sudden after a month or so the issue disappeared. I can only assume this was a result of one of the Windows updates that goes on silently in the background. The laptop has been fine for a couple of years and now the issue has all of a sudden returned. I've applied all of the fixes identified by other users in relation to not allowing devices to be powered down to save power. Is anyone else experiencing the same issue and knows a resolution? For such a high spec (and costly) laptop I'm amazed. I'm getting to the point now where I just want to drop kick it out of the Window and go to a competitor.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@adamski46

I have gone through your Post and I understand your concerns

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Also ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

If the issue persists run a System Test to confirm the Hardware Functionality

- Shut down the Notebook completely
- Turn it back on, then tap the Esc key repeatedly until the Startup menu screen is displayed.
- Press F2 to select System Diagnostics.
- Click System Tests

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had already done the majority of that. It's up to date and not reporting any errors. One thing I have noticed is that it seems to be specific to the laptop touchscreen display. When I'm connected to a dock I do not get the freeze up on external monitors at all.

Regards

Adam

HP Recommended

@adamski46

Thanks for keeping me posted

The physical screen should not have any connection with the Notebook Freezing unless you are using the Touchscreen when it happens

Since All the drivers are up to date and all the Diagnostic Tests pass, I suggest you perform a Reset

Please follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04742289

Keep me posted

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for getting back to me. Much appreciated.

I've worked in a technical capacity in the IT industry for 20 years now so hopefully you can take on board the symptoms I describe and take advantage of my knowledge and experience to try and understand where the root cause may be. Reading the online blogs it seems this is and has been a common issue associated with this device and users seem to have been offered the same advice but not resolving the issue.

I use the laptop at work for 7-9 hours in a day so I'm heavily reliant on it. I've tried the device with 2 different docks and get the same behaviour with both (i.e. no lags or freezes at all when doing any work on the external extended displays) and as soon as I move the cursor to the laptop display and do any work on it the temporary freeze up issue reoccurs. As I've also stated the freeze up occurs frequently using the laptop undocked as well. Can you give me a technical explanation why it wouldn't be related to anything screen related to the laptop display (e.g. video driver) so that I understand? A reset seems a bit drastic last resort and not a guaranteed fix. If it doesn't work what options am I then left with?

HP Recommended

Hi @adamski46

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.